Beam Saber: A game about Pilots and their massive War Machines

I commissioned @SeaExcursion to make a #BeamSaber twitter bot that will randomly generate characters, vehicles, missions, and more on request. Please give it a whirl and @ me and Caro with any issues you run into.
You can find the instructions here!

Friends At The Table have selected Beam Saber as their game for their sixth season, PARTIZAN!

3 Likes

Quick question – how is advancement for mechs handled? Is it the same XP advance as character advancement? (e.g. improve actions the same way as improving character actions with the same pool of XP?)

Vehicle actions aren’t tied to the vehicle, but to the pilot, so those improve with Desperate actions or end of session XP. However, Vehicles have Quirks which let them resist consequences and push for extra dice/effect, and those can increase. There’s an Enhance track that is filled via the Upgrade downtime activity, and once that is filled the vehicle gets a new Quirk (starting with 4, up to a max of 8).

Thanks - So, this means 18 actions that need to be raised with XP?

Correct. Quirks can also help generate XP if you struggle because of them.

1 Like

Beam Saber V0.461 is now live! Also looks like I forgot to post here about V0.46 earlier, so that’s “new” too!

2 Likes

I know it’s been a literal year but here’s a new episode of Beam Saber: The Cenotaph for y’all! I’m going to try to release a new one every other week going forward. We’ll see how I do.
http://beamsaber.libsyn.com/the-cenotaph-part-08-lady-elreth-the-dragon

1 Like

If you are a podcaster or YouTuber interested in reviewing or playing Beam Saber on your show, email me at BeamSaberRPG@gmail.com! I’m looking for people to work with in preparation for the Beam Saber Kickstarter!

1 Like

If YOU have played or discussed #BeamSaber on a stream, podcast, video or blog, let me know because I want to feature your work on the game’s #Kickstarter!

The Cenotaph is pretty good btw, I recommend people listen to it :+1:

1 Like

If you are interested in picking up Beam Saber, now’s a great chance because it’s part of an $8 bundle!
https://twitter.com/Notaninn/status/1200478930110746624?s=19

The Beam Saber Kickstarter pre-launch page is now available! You can sign up for a notification when the campaign launches on March 2nd!

1 Like

I’ve been listening to the Friends at the Table podcast where they are using your game and it sounds amazing! Can’t wait for the Kickstarter to launch!

1 Like

The newest version of Beam Saber is now available! You can find the changelog and a message for people who have already purchased the game about the Kickstarter here!

1 Like

On Sunday March 1st at 4pm EST I will be running Beam Saber on twitch.tv/RollPlusBond as part of a 72 hour charity stream to raise money for RAICES! There’ll be games from Feb 29-Mar 2 that you should check out and donate; see the attached schedule!

1 Like

The Beam Saber Kickstarter is live!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/austinramsaygames/beam-saber/

3 Likes

In under 48 hours the Kickstarter has hit its funding goal! Thank you to everyone who has supported the game in whatever format that support has taken. It is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to working with you as we move upward to great heights!

2 Likes

Congratulations on hitting your funding goals in 48 hours! I love that you are planning on using stretch goals to pay your contributors more money, which is wonderful: creatives need those paychecks!

Just one question: have you considered using the stretch goals to pay for roll20 character sheets? I plan on backing the game regardless next pay-period, but as a mostly-online gamer having a roll20 sheet makes a huge difference to me on whether I ultimately get to play a game.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, and if we hit all of our current stretch goals, I think I’ll make that the next one. Otherwise I might commission some myself after the Kickstarter concludes.

In the mean time there are a number of resources for players to play Beam Saber online included in the rule book.

1 Like