Biggest Rules Mistakes for New Players

In my group we were very conservative with Stress, to the point of very rarely using Assists, Flashbacks and Pushing Ourselves. There would often be times where we wouldn’t even Resist due to the probability of Trauma.

Oddly, this didn’t stop us from taking Desperate Actions or make use adverse to Harm.

(Matt Petruzzelli) #22

Frankly it sounds like your consequences are not severe enough.

The Consequences were typically quite severe - level 3 harm, serious complication, and desperate position.

But the team would find means of increasing dice pools from Devil’s Bargains, Leading Group Actions, Daredevil, Cloak and Dagger, etc. And reducing the Consequence with Special Armor and often Tough as Nails.

(sythmaster) #24

Doesn’t matter how severe the consequences are when the players roll that 6 :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

(John Harper) #25

“You go into combat with the Red Sashes’ elite swordmaster? Okay, first they slash through the tendons of your wrist and disarm you, then run you through the heart. Want to resist either of those before you take your action?”

(sythmaster) #26

okay… fine. Maybe it does matter a litle bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Judd Karlman) #27

I’ve been thinking about this a bunch, thinking that I need to make dangerous entities more dangerous and more proactive in my FitD games.

(Mr Hollins) #28

For my players, I think the most consistent rules mistakes are overestimating the scope of Resistance Rolls. Because the game leans heavily on narrative, my players typically provide an explanation for how they resisted the harm or consequence but often their explanations go too far and stray into hybrid Resistance/Action rolls. It seems to get even worse when another player decides to do a Resistance roll on someone else’s behalf. I’ve run 4 separate Blades campaigns and in every single one of them a Hound has attempted to “resist” a consequence for someone else by shooting them dead. We eventually arrive at a compromise, but reminding players that a Resistance roll shouldn’t leave you better off than you started has been a theme since I started playing this game.

Also I forget to account for harm all the dang time! I even have a post-it note to remind me and I still manage to forget!

(John Harper) #29

Yeah, I sometimes forget about harm, too.

I’ve considered adding it as an XP trigger, just so players will remember it. “You struggled because of harm,”

(Mr Hollins) #30

I like that! You could add it to the Vice/Trauma XP trigger and it would feel very much at home. It would also allow more cautious, trauma-averse players to access that XP trigger more often.

(John) #31

It would also give a bit of extra xp at the start of a game when typically characters don’t have any trauma to struggle with. I think I’m going to use that in my next game.

(Daniel) #32

My own classic mistake has always been remembering (and reminding players) that consequences can be resisted on social rolls, not just combat and sneakery.

Maybe not so much a mistake as a stumbling block to watch out for and find a personal preference for is stress and harm balancing. The rules make it optional as to whether resisting harm avoids all of it or just bumps it down a category. It can seem too soft a touch to say that you can always just choose not to take any damage, but the harm and healing rules are pretty harsh. It can be tempting to see the resistance roll as akin to an action, in that a poor one might let more harm through, but that is a mistake as the greater stress taken is already the result of that bad roll, and worse harm as well is double punishment. Accounting for quality, tier and scale, and being transparent about what can and can’t happen as a result of a roll, take some time to get the hang of, but are important things to learn to keep a game consistent and fair.