Blades Against Darkness

(Dylan Green) #21

I’ll just leave these here:

Really love that art style.

Art is looking really great! Cant wait to play it!

(Dylan Green) #24

Here’s the Copperhead

(Justin (He/Him)) #25

The Chimera gives me a Final Fantasy Legend II vibes, of all things. :sparkles:

(Dylan Green) #26

Here’s the Coyote.

Beta coming along well. Only a handful of to-do’s. I expect it to be ready this weekend for Sunday’s stream.

(Dylan Green) #27

Okay, so here is a complete Quick Start Kit:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sjC0qz1WqTtAmulmRXtijFwhsYUXJyYO
This has a starting situation, player aids, factions, and a zone. It’s all the tools you need to play and a clever GM familiar with Blades can probably muddle through. But the opening job in particular will make a lot more sense when you’ve read the supporting material.

And here is the supporting material for the GM and players:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XSEZLXVzLMndDcjH_urz8TeaCFu6CoRO
This is 29 pages of “How the hell does this actually work.” It covers every phase of play, provides best practices and worked examples.

I’m not going to go big with this for a couple of days because I expect to find some flaws over the next couple while its being used by @JWall and @entropyrat. In the mean time, look it over and let me know what you think. I’ll incorporate changes and fixes over the next couple days and then go public.

(Roe Portal) #28

Say, why does the Chimera have 3 advances?
(meanwhile the Coyote have more than 10)
From my experience, Forged in the Dark campaign tend to last longer then 3 advances.

Im assuming this is because of the primary Chimera ability: Monster Hearts

This is a super ability that gives you the power to steal abilities from others, thus making the playbook about balancing and utilizing those instead of simply acquiring more through XP like the others. Actually the Chimera is the most flexible playbook and has unlimited combinations of abilities!

(Dylan Green) #30

It’s because I have only been able to come up with 3 cool abilities that are “on brand” for the Chimera… :sweat_smile:

Content is hard.

I should add that the Chimera should have “veteran” allowing moves from other playbooks as well. That’s an oversight.

Update Chimera has Veteran slots now.

Short questions regarding advancement, which is either not clear or I am blind:
Is the Coyote able to take two more veteran advances as the other playbooks or is it more expensive for it?

(Dylan Green) #32

It’s able to take two more moves from other playbooks.

(Dylan Green) #33

Here’s the Warden

(Dylan Green) #34

There’s been some chatter here and on the Discord about the Chimera and getting it some more special abilities. Here’s a draft of what I’ll be testing myself:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V8JRyoQR7OUEBR99bL_0-N2uWWamVwsp

(Roe Portal) #35

Now we’re talking! some feedback:

1. do you start with monsterheart and another ability, or only monsterheart? it’s unclear.
  2. what’s up with the Chimera’s XP triggers? it’s unclear what are your original tiggers and what get’s switched when you take monsterheart
  3. can you take monsterheart as veteran advance?
  4. Torque is amazing! does underline move from the sacrificed action to Torque or lost forever? what happens if you try to use the sacrificed action? can Torque be of any attribute as long as it matches the sacrificed action (physically twisting the flesh like clay\mutating it with chemicals and abominable science\making flesh dance to your unnatural music and songs)?
  5. what exactly is the “monstrous trait” mentioned in “blood to fire” and “antibodies” is it the same as monstrous harm slot? if so, do you immoderately recover it or does it become regular harm?

(Dylan Green) #36

1: The intent is Monsterhearts + another ability.
2: Xp triggers are on the back of the sheet… which I didn’t actually… include so it’s in the file now:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V8JRyoQR7OUEBR99bL_0-N2uWWamVwsp

3: Yes, other characters can take Monsterhearts as a veteran advance, but they have to eat a monster heart.

4: So this is untested, but the intent was that the sacrificed action was gone. So any underlines, etc would be lost. You can’t use the sacrificed action, so it changes who you are. And yeah, its use and description needs to match the Attribute it’s attached to.

5: yes monstrous traits and monstrous ability in a harm slot are the same thing, I’ve unified the language. In the case of Antibodies the idea is that you sacrifice the monstrous trait (the spell, as it were) and ignore the harm. So lose the spell and free up a harm slot.