Campaign Diary: The Sword of the Remnant

Back at Camp Scene - The Shattered Lions

The QM picked the funerary back at camp scene, and I got to play the fist leader of the Lions for this one.

‘Baronet’ meant, to most in Or, that someone was noble, powerful, connected, surely trained in rhetoric and swordplay and law, and of course needing none of those skills - or any skill - to prosper.

To Giulia, ‘Baronet’ was more curse than title. The lowest order of the landed, something barely more than a knight like Orlando had been, separated from the starving masses not by wealth – her family sure had none of that – or by education – her tutor was a drunk grandmother on her occasional cogent day – but by sole virtue of a single estate, rented out to a commercial collective that shepherded of sheep. In short, her family farmed farmers, and it paid barely enough to keep her siblings dowried.

As such, Sabbatini was no stranger to eccentric and impoverished formality. Dusty, archaic, inflexible duties on straightened means were her mother’s milk. The Lions may be two rookies and two corpses, but they were hers, the last in a direct chain of appointment from the Emperor’s right hand, General Baphomar.

The rituals of mourning, adapted and evolved from the funerary practices of the pre-Tantarian armies, were one thousand one hundred and seventy-two years in the making. As the only Lion left alive from before Ettenmark, Giulia felt the full burden of every one of those years. Certainly, the fallen must be recognised and grieved for their bravery and their loss, but for Sabbatini, there was something greater at stake. This was her chance to pass the legacy on, to make them care. A box had been rescued at Ettenmark by Corporal Jaimes Eppalias-Wrent, who died later in that engagement, and then passed on to Spite, then to Giulia. The key traveled a simpler path, inherited from Captain Bhatia, along with her last words, witnessed by Sabbatini and Sable.

Exactly seven days after the deaths of Orlando and the younger Rahj, the Baronet Giulia Sabbatini de Rogulla woke up before dawn, fumbled around in the dark for the iron key kept on a chain around her neck. The key’s head was a roaring lion, features worn down by time, notches and ridges looked a little like curved fangs. She inserted the key in the ancient lock, and three tries later, opened the wooden box for her first time. She slid off the wooden lid and assayed the contents – dozens and dozens of coins; a moth-eaten banner; an ivory horn, of the kind used before trumpet and signal flare; a few dozen Imperial death masks, the porcelain chipped; a broken sword handle; a set of silver-handled carving tools; and a smaller iron box to which she did not have the key.

She sighed, counted out some of the coins, quietly – so as not to wake her people – placed a mask next to each bed. Next to Oskanna, the Sphinx; next to Adav, the Ox with the Mane of Fire. Then made her way out and across the yard to the meal hall. She passed across a smattering of silver coins to the breakfast cooks. Normally, Ritual Victuals would be paid for out of the Grieving Fund, but Fort Fullon offered little opportunity for purchasing a traditional Imperial meal of the dead from a clergyman of Kol, so arranging for the preparation of some flattened bread and lamb’s sausage cooked in milk from commissary was the best she could come up with.

Second, she visited the disaffected Panyar survivors. There, she inspected a waist-height piece of wood carved with names, dates, symbols and Lion-ish heraldry, haggled with the goat-legged Panyar for a few minutes and handed over a coin that glinted gold by the lantern light.

Then she hauled the stele out to a hill, nodding to the watchman from the Silver Stags as she went by, before getting the thing buried deep enough in the cold ground to be stable. She then covered the thing with the ratty banner, showing a roaring lion, and appearing to read PRYDE OS THY LEO .

With that done, she retreated to camp, washed the dirt from her face and hands, went back to the Lion’s tent, and put on her own mask, a Lion. She put on the ridiculous ill-fitting helmet with the broom-like bristles. And blew the horn.

“We awake, children of Tantaraus, Pride of the Legion, Lions who Walk as Men. We awake, when others of our pride sleep forever more.”

She blows the horn again. “We awake, to march around the cenotaph, to festoon the stele, to eat one last meal with the shades of the departed.”

Awkward, tired, she watched the others, and prayed to whatever god this ritual was once devoted to they would buy in.

Adav wakes up startled and bleary-eyed. He had failed to realize he had fallen asleep during a restless night. Nothing had made sense to Adav since Hansika’s death. Life with the Remnant had passed in the monochrome blur of sorrow. None of it had played out the way he had assumed it would. The brother had always known that when the time came, he would give his life for his sisters. That’s not what happened. That’s not what happened at all. Beyond his longing for her love and company, the worst part had been how senseless her murder had been.

A captured soldier, slain in cold blood.

When he hears Sabbatini’s chant, the Bartan warrior leans into its comfort. Lions had lived and died for hundreds of years before him and his sister, as they would for hundreds of years after. They would see to it. Sabbatini, Dubrovna and him, for they were the Remnant.

Soldiering is all that makes sense now. And soldiers mourn, and then they move on.

Adav had slept in his clothes, again. He sits up on the far end of his cot, where Giulia had placed his mask. The Bartan picks it up, holds the false face of the oxen. He inspects the craftsmanship. It was rough hewn but elegant. In one smooth motion and without hesitation, Adav puts the mask on his face. Long red bristles drape his shoulders in a majestic mane. As the Bartan speaks, his voice cracks at first, before finding an underlying strength.

“The Ox with the Mane of Fire bears the yoke of violence. I wake, I witness, I consume, as flames find to wicker’s end.”

Oksanna presses against the coin in her hand, feeling the cool edges of the metal dig into her palm. Giving her pain a shape.

The mask sits awkwardly on her features, made at once for some larger and more refined. She feels indelicate in it, cumbersome, like a giant fuming with a bird’s wing, trying not to break it inadvertently.

She does not cry, even at funerals. She thinks she has forgotten how. Still, her voice is raw when she speaks.

“The Sphinx is the mystery. The great unknown beyond the veil. I wake, I dream, I wake again in darkness, seeking such light as I can.”

Behind the mask, Sabattini’s face relaxed. They knew the words. That much she had done right. She blew the horn again, the damn thing pressing against the rigid lip of the lion’s ‘mouth’.

She’d spoken with the other Fist Leaders over the past few days. Jahander was graceful for Jahander, poor Orpik seemed too drugged out to care, and the rest were understanding, but she wondered how well that patience held up when the horn blasted through and woke their recruits at dawn.

“I am the Lion,” she says, “I am that which survives the soldier, and stays in the lower realm. I am nameless, I am sexless, I am ageless, I am without clan or station.”

She reaches into her pocket, draws out an ancient coins and holds it up.

“The Lion has taken the Emperor’s coin.”

She reaches into the box, and holds up the broken sword, “The Lion was shattered at Janioch, and a Legion grew around us. The Lion was shattered again by the Living Blade, and became the Remnant.”

This part she improvised, but Fang had changed their title again, “The Lion was scarred at Ettenmark, and we are yet the seed.”

“Where others have forgotten, we serve the Empire. Our friends are gone, but the Lion remains.”

She opens the tent flap, and as the others leave, she hands out the silver carving tools. She leads the small group out of the camp, back to the stele.

“Ox with the Mane of Fire,” she says, “You are called to witness what was consumed. Speak of the dead, so their light may burn forever.”

“Sphinx, you know what is unknown. Speak for us what is to be lost of the dead in shadow, that it may dissolve and be forgotten forevermore.”

The moment Adav had been fearing was quickly approaching. The short walk back to the funerary monument grants him some time to consider his words. Its not enough. Sabbatini and Dubrovna are already taking their positions, flanking him as they surround the stele.

How do I sum up my sister’s life in a few sentences?

Adav stalls for time. Starts with Orlando.

“Knight Reuben Orlando was young but well travelled. Inexperienced, but steadfast. A second son, he took on the legacy of his aunt and uncle, who had also served in the Legion of the Remnant. Lady Desdemona Orlando served for four years before dying in battle during the Night of Frozen Stars. Sir Alberic Orlando retired from the Legion after eleven years of service, and died defending the family mansion from Zemyati raiders. Like his nephew, he wore the gold and green the day he died. The estate never fell.”

Reminiscing was getting harder and harder. Adav makes a mistake by pausing slightly. Resuming was difficult.

“Reuben was proud of his blood, and we were proud of him. Our young lion was earnest and untiring.”

Adav stumbles, and ends awkwardly.

“The afterlife will be a worthier place for his arrival.”

The Bartan warrior takes a deep breath. Tries to savor the moment, even though he fears it. It felt like he was going into battle. He remembers the last thing he said to Hansika. Adav had scolded her for losing her position to the Aldermani Partisans, despite them outnumbering her two to one. Not for the first time the brother wondered if that had been what had provoked the sister to stand up for the Fist to the chieftain. Adav knew it was an arrogant and selfish thought, yet it gnawed at him all the same. He was glad for the mask, because burning hot tears were streaking his cheeks.

“Hansika… Rahj,” says the elder Rahj.

Was the best cook I knew.

Will be missed.

Was a better person than me.

Was the bravest woman I ever met.

“Hansika Rahj was a good soldier and an even better sister. She took care of me when I thought I was the one taking care of her. When I was younger, I took her calmness for a lack of temerity. Now I recognize her as woman who was focused, deeply passionate, and someone who always put others needs above her own. All the way up to her death.”

Adav realized he was breathing heavily, and his hands were clenching into fists and then unclenching.

“I’m sorry, I can’t,” says Adav. The brother tries to pinch his brow to ease the pressure that was building up in his head, but since he is wearing the mask of the Ox with the Mane of Fire, he can’t. Beneath the mask, he is weeping. Adav leans into the ritual, and lets tradition hold him up.

“Where ever you are, find peace Sika, and I will do the same, here. That’s… That is it.”

The Bartan nods, and takes a step back.

The Sphinx speaks. From the depths of her mask, Oskanna’s voice scratches, her grief rendering her husky, her role casting her in scorn.

“Ruben Orlando was vain. Boastful of his lineage, and over-proud of his storied training. He, who took up arms far earlier in life than many of the Legion, saw his talents as a natural advantage, not skill gifted - if not stolen - from the hands of others. A son of privilege, he died blind to it.”

She feels tenderness creep into her voice. Masks it. Mutes it.

Drawing the Sphinx. Worst fucking luck.

“If Orlando was brave, it was the bravery of the fool, the courage of a man who does not understand a threat. He faced life as he faced death - a child with dreams, supposing they would protect him. When they didn’t, his life ended.”

In times past, the Lions may have been sufficient in number to conceal the speaker, to hide their fellow in a mask beyond the role of the Sphinx. Now, she had only the shield of ritual. A flimsy defence before their dead comrade’s brother.

And when I’m dead, what will they say of me?

“Hansika Rahj was a cold fish. In fighting, feasting or fucking, she held herself apart. Aloof. Too afraid of what she might unleash maybe, or perhaps just one of those who take little pleasure in life or others.”

Oksanna looks down at the ground from within her mask, tries to avoid her companions eyes. “The one place she ran hot was anger. Hansika had a temper. When she felt aggrieved, she could not rest until she’d sought redress. Too spiteful to let anything go. She might not have shown it, but she let slights overwhelm her judgment. And now raising her fists cost her her life.”

Her voice cracks at the last, but she draws a breath and masters herself.

“These are the secrets of the Sphinx, and the Sphinx has spoken them. Let they be carried to the outer darkness. Let they be buried with the dead. They pass into the Sphinx’s keeping.”

Her voice is low and deadly. “Let anyone else who speaks such things now know the wrath of the Lion.”

Sabattini wonders if she should have abided by ancient tradition and given the masks out by lot. With so many masks unworn - the Hand That Sees, the Hound of Descent, the Senechal - it seemed dangerous, and as she tries to ignore Adav sobs, the man barely able to work through the Ox’s given task, she stands by her call.

Distracted by her thoughts of the living or dead, she almost misses as eyes turn back to her. The alcohol in her bloodstream was thinning, and the buzz of last night’s camp was becoming this morning’s gentle hangover.

She pulls back the ratty tapestry, to reveal the work on the cenotaph. It shows the deathmasks of Orlando and Hansika, the symbols of Legion and lion, and their epigraphs, ranks and time of service - but not their names, never their names - in Old Imperial.

She addresses the stele. The Baronet uses the voice her father used to open feasts, somewhere between stern and warm. The one that works on everyone from partisan nomads to virgin librarians.

“Cease now all spite. Cease now all jealousy. Cease now all hopes and wounds of equal measure, as inflicted by gods and fates. Cease all. All that remains of you now is the Lion. Even the Annals shall be denied that which dissolves.”

She worries that she can sound the part, even as she knows the others are grieving more than she ever will, but it’s a part of herself she has accepted. But she reaches in, and there is sadness enough.

“Their service ends. Our march continues. Or it will continue tomorrow.”

She turns back to her soldiers, and points to the baskets of food. She wishes there was wine in there.

“Pay your respects, Lions, and eat with this pride for the last time.”

She uses her teeth to pull the cork from the bottle, and pours it into a glass. It isn’t wine. Annoyingly, there is no wine purchased from the grieving fund. Old Imperial Virtue is so prudish and austere. But the Leions continue, and so does the tradition. For today.

“For the Emperor.”

The Imperial Legacy

The scenes were the engagement of the Council regarding Dmitri, and how to deal with it and the tensions between the generals. This pair of scenes, however, we agreed as players to finalise through the flashback mechanism, allowing the generals to see how they pressed on and what their strategy is as it become fully understood what they agreed and why. For you as readers, we’re going to achieve the same effect by me flashing back to the scenes when their results are felt and not before.

Which means, for now, Plainsworth beckons.

Dawn breaks to the sounds of exodus, as the defeated of Ettenmark vacate the field at last. In their wake, several bodies swing from the high fort walls, Panyar hung by the chaplain for attempted theft of Legion property. Their ringleader, the alcheme Prenza, escaped the noose, likely to return to his band in Render’s territory.

For now, this wraps up the two open recruit actions that Greg ultimately rejected on the Front. Prenza instigated a theft on Legion supplies using the Panyar as his flawed instruments, and they have paid the ultimately price. Topaz, after his passionate defence, feels raw from this, which may combine with his Reckless trauma in intresting ways.

In the civilised world of yesterday, the journey from Ettenmark to Plainsworth would be a week’s easy march along the imperial roads, with several well provisioned towns to stop at along the way. The roads are Stormbreaker’s; the towns, surely gone. Through the mountains, with the meandering and backtracking, it is impossible to measure the true distance the Legion crosses.

Weeks pass. Rabbit seems long behind them, and Tiger turns to Dragon. By the Zemyati calendar, it would be High Summer now. The heat rises day by day, sapping strength. Even the burning sun cannot overcome Breaker’s magics, so the weather is humid, sticky and oppressive, broken up by frequent summer storms.

A bad roll for Advancing here, costing them three ticks of time in a single hit. Robert had perhaps been a little overconfident with Pressure, due to Zora’s aid, but this was one of those things - they went from a very healthy 5 time to 8, represented here as a Long March through the mountains to avoid Stormbringer.

The Legion can almost hear the Broken’s frustration in the screaming sky as they entirely evade her more mundane barricade. Her tricks go beyond mere rain, often pounding the line with hail or lightning. On one disturbing night, a blast of electricity from nowhere strikes down one of the brewers from Balne; on another, trees have entirely devoured the only bridge, dragging it into the ravine below.

In these conditions, every step is arduous, and would have been impossible without the commitment of the troops and without the Xerquelets that serve as guides. The pair are sisters, nearly identical in appearance, most easily distinguished between ‘the one that wants to keep moving’ and the ‘one that wants to go back a bit and take the other path’. Their adage, where a goat can go, a horse can go, is patently dubious, and anyway makes no allowances for the supply carts being wrangled every step of the way, but as former goatherds, they know the mountains. Better still, they know the locations of several partisan camps that can be cajoled into providing hot food, shelter and respite.

At least there are no dead to fight this high, giving the soldiers their first week without battle since Ettenmark. Even stomping through treacherous mud, the undercurrent of optimism is in their step, buoyed by pleasant company and a trio of successes against the enemy.

While the scars from the battle - mental and physical - start healing over, the events from the plains have opened some new wounds. While Leo slowly regains the ability to walk, clattering with a cane once freed from the supply wagons, Vani is difficult, silent and withdrawn from company, struggling with each day her burden is extended. Theo and Mattin, the new Mercy, have bonded, talking of architecture long into the night. Rafe seems to rest easier, perhaps, if not easily, and Sable has made progress on his epic, Tribute to the Hanged, but Topaz, his own equanimity lost, broods, scouting several days ahead, no words to spare for the living.

As the mountains give way again to the plains, the Legion takes its first view of Plainsworth.

Falling somewhere between a provincial village and regional hub, the city is prosperous without being pretentious, a little past its prime but not degeneratively so. Cobbled streets frame simple houses and bustling inns, the kind inherited by equally simple and prosperous Aldermani peasant stock. The nicer houses, belonging to Elders and well-off merchants, are up on a hill overlooking a small river.

The entire town surrounded by a crumbling but serviceable wall of Tantarian construction. Through luck of history, the ancient structure still provides a defensible position to the west and south, and the locals have put some effort into further makeshift fortifications to bolster the weaknesses.

The dead have fewer fires than the living, but enough for their cauldrons to demonstrate Stormbringer’s blockade is held at some distance yet. The silhouettes of bat-winged creatures the size of men fly through the green clouds. Ludja stones and death trees have been erected in the ruins of razed shrines, and distant figures chant around them. With over two hundred dead parked on the highway, is clear that the Legion would have struggled mightily to break through.

Even so, this army seems content to be held at bay by Plainsworth’s militia. As the Legion approaches the town, it’s clear the town defenders maintains some level of vigilance, with a few scattered patrols checking the Remnant out, but the only concentration of military force, if it can be so described, is found at the gates through the Tantarian wall.

Though the wall on the east side is a ruin, easily avoided, scores of merchants, farmers and refugees line up at the gates. These desperate figures have lined up. Some uniformed guardsmen in the Karl’s colours, clearly a few steps above militia, lead an efficient if merciless process of searching and assessing.

As the Legion moves towards the crowd, they can clearly see the town’s heraldry - the thing openly mocks the Remnant symbols, with the golden arrows shot through a decapitated head of a pig in an Imperial helmet.

To reflect the tensions in Plainsworth, I created a clock - Ancient Prejudice - and started in at 2/4 ticks. How the Legion entered the city (which, to provision, they surely must) would see what kind of missions were available.

Dmitri smiled ruefully at the pig’s head, swinging down easily from his saddle and clapping Polshk, one of the outriders, on the shoulder. The Bartan was on foot, idly chewing dried beef from the pouch at his belt, spitting remnants into the thick summer air.

“Well, at least we know what sort of welcome to expect.”

The Commander was lighter of step than he had been since taking the mantle. If not freed of his burden, the combination of a week without the dead and the knowledge that - one way or another - the time of secrecy was coming to an end, buoyed him. He had wandered through the camp more freely over the mountain passes, breaking bread and sharing ale, and if he no longer roistered, he told stories, and better, listened, with the best of them.

Even conscious that the troops might decide him a traitor, he felt an overwhelming sense of love for his ragtag comrades. It took some effort to recognise the melancholy of a possible goodbye, to keep that factor from clouding his judgment.

“Polshk. Send a runner to fetch the Quartermaster and the Marshall, and have someone raise the standard and ride forward. Let the Burgomeister know we come to treat with him.”

Marshal Zinovia was at the head of a gathering of soldiers, addressing them before the approach to enter Plainsworth.

“They don’t fucking like us here, as seen with their pig banner,” says Fang, her voice loud and clear. “But that doesn’t mean we should give them more reasons for their animosity. Do your thing while we lodge here, but remember that you represent the Legion at every moment. Pay every serving maid, for all services rendered. No stealing, no fights. You can spar at camp if you need to get that aggression out. I know we’ve been running low on deaders lately.”

That last line got her some laughter and jostling.

“Just be mindful during our stay here, is all I ask,” says Fang, trying to level with the Legionnaires. “Because no man nor woman is above than the Remnant. If you cause problems, I have no qualms about leaving you to your fate with the locals. With that, rest up well. Everything will be getting harder from here on out. Dismissed!”

As the soldiers broke away, Zin was thinking of her own words.

No man nor woman is above than the Remnant.

She sincerely hoped they would be able to control the message regarding the Commander and his kinship.

The outrider Polshk arrives at Zinovia’s side.

“A message, Marshal,” says the errand runner. “The Commander asks for your attention.”

Zin sucks on her teeth for a moment, before nodding in consent.

“I will be with him at once,” she says. “Lead me to him.”

Despite a flurry of activity at the gates, it takes a little longer for Plainsworth to get their act together. Extra men armed with spears and bows quietly arrive to reinforce, and the militia men stand a little more to attention. Other supplicants at the gate are forgotten, left standing nervously between the two armed forces.

During the delay, the Council have the opportunity to size up the town’s defenders. It is clear they are, soldier to soldier, no match for even the rookies of the Legion. They lack guns, their armour is mostly piecemeal and discipline is mixed at best. Nonetheless, in the matter of minutes, they have managed to round up similar numbers to the entire Legion’s fighting force.

When Plainsworth finally delivers its civic leaders, they make up for lack of speediness with quantity, with a full five elders emerging from the gate under martial escort. They wear grand robes of office, in wool too thick for the weather, and wear white wigs of horsehair in a manner Spite associates with barristers and judges. They sit on horseback, as if trying to make themselves look larger or more martial, but none of them resemble fighters of any kind. From the look on their faces as they look over the assembled Legion, they have reached similar conclusions about the relative strengths.

The foremost amongst them is corpulent man with silver rings gripping tight around every finger. His horse is mighty, with a fiery mane of red, easily able to carry the extra load.

He rides slightly ahead of the others, and clears his throat.

“Imperials,” he begins, “I am Elder Garrimond, ritter in the service of Aldermani. Behind me are Elders Konnick, Theodamus, Ghalint and Justice Othric. We speak for this city.”

He looks at the men behind him, “You seek to treat with us, so we have come, over the objections of some of our beloved people. Speak your petition, then.”

Spite dusts the travel off her cloak while the column waits, listening to Zin tell the Legion what the Legion should damn-well already know. It’s late summer, and hot, and there’s the smell of Plainsworth and the road and the horses and the oil and the leather and the armor. Somewhere, there’s the flavor of freshly-cut hay, and from within the city, the scent of fresh bread baking. She wonders if Her Eminence, deep within the column, has smelled it, too. She wonders, idly, where the Chosen has gone. Nobody has seen Zora since before they moved out.

She takes the time while the city gets its act together to take some stock of herself. The weariness that has dogged her since leaving the front is no less, but she thinks she is presentable enough, and it takes less effort than she would care to admit to find the old bearing, decades gone. She straightens her back, feels Taisa’s arms around her where she rides behind her tightening their grip a little as she does. She runs fingers through her hair, dismissing what few tangles can take purchase there. She adjusts the sword at her hip. When the fat man rides out ahead of the other leaders, she clicks her own horse forward before Dmitri or Zin can, stops within ten feet of the one who identifies himself as Garrimond.

“Elder Garrimond,” she says, inclining her head just enough. The old Oritian courtly ways, she realizes, are never truly gone. Not so much an inclination to indicate submission, not so little as to indicate insult. She raises her chin, lets her eyes fall upon each of the others behind him in turn. “Elders who speak for Plainsworth, well met.”

She straightens again. She might as well be wearing a gown, now, for her bearing, she thinks. The old habits really do die hard.

“I am General Bianca Valentina Storace of the House Nessuno, Testeverde, in Or,” she says. “Our Legion is late of front, and we would make stop in Plainsworth to take lodgings, refit our troops, and purchase supplies from your city. We come with coin, and with well-disciplined soldiers who will mind their manners, else I and the Council will know the reason for it.”

House Nessuno mark Bianca as anonymous, meaning “House Nobody” or “of nowhere”.

She pauses. She is speaking clearly, not solely for the sake of the Elders.

“Though it was long ago, the Legion remembers. In remembering, we learn from the past, and would not repeat the mistakes made therein. We fight the Cinder King and those who carry arms in his name. They are our enemy, and that is our contract, no more and no less. If Plainsworth will offer its hospitality, then we in our turn offer our aid in its defense for as long as we reside.”

As she speaks on, the Elders’ focus shifts from the armed Zemyati behind to the woman in front, her voice and bearing arresting their attention.

“Well-spoken, madame,” the man rumbles, clearly genuinely taken, “And noble sentiments I am overjoyed to hear from civilised lips.”

Garrimond nods his double chin into his chest, eyes fixed on Spite as he gives a small half-bow.

One of the soldiers scoffs audibly, his bitter distaste for the green and gold on his features, and when eyes turn on him, he does not look apologetic.

“But it’s sacrilege.”

The Elders whisper to each other, and Garrimond looks down sternly at the soldier, then turns his face apologetically to Spite.

“By ancient and divine edict, the Legion of the Emperor… your army named specifically, General, though extended since to Zemyati warbands… is forbidden aid or comfort on pain of eternal damnation, but we fully recognise are on the same side here. We accept this. We are sensible, practical people and can see this is in everyone’s shared interest.”

Garrimond plays with the rings on his fingers, “In fact, you have chosen a good time to join us, and lend your men to our aid, General. Where you have suffered heroically at Ettenmark, our loyal militia have been up to the task of repelling the first forays of the Witch-Queen, Stormbreaker, and checking her advance for the nonce.”

He looks out over the various supplicants, “It is the Summer Festival here, and opportunities for trade, for supply, for rest, those shall be ample in our secure walls.”

His smile broadens and he offers his hand out to Bianca, leaning forward to kiss hers.

“You, General, are welcome to be a guest in mine own house.”

Just before she takes it, the hatchet-faced judge lifts a finger up and points at the rifle of Polshk, the Legion outrider.

“As with all entrants to our city, we will expect you to honour the martial levy. One third of your guns, your swords and your ammunition and powder, to be provided over to support Plainsworth’s defence.”

While Garrimond and Justice Othric seem certain enough, one of the other Elders - Konnick, perhaps? - is looking past Spite to Fang with trepidation, knuckles white around his reigns. Some of the soldiers shift awkwardly.

Garrimond waves his hands airily, as if this were no particular request. His eyes sparkle.

“Since we will be guarding your retreat as you move on, General, as a practical woman, I’m sure you can see this is in everyone’s shared interest.”

Bianca smiles, patient, wearing as much grace as her scarred face can manage, even at the soldier’s disgust. She allows her expression to slip towards grave at the mention of Stormbreaker.

“Compliments to your defenses, Elder,” she says. “For thwarting the Bitch-Queen is no easy task.”

She looks to Garrimond, flattered by the offer — or at least doing a very convincing job of looking flattered — but in the silence that follows the “request,” her smile grows, and she holds up her own hand.

“You do me great honor, Elder Garrimond,” she says. “And I would be delighted to accept, although I wonder if such hospitality might be better rendered to she who we have been privileged to escort.”

She twists in her saddle, motioning for the nearest runner, dispatching her quickly down the column before turning back once more.

“Our soldiers were able to offer assistance to Her Eminence upon the road near the front, and it has been our duty to see that she and her retinue, small though it is, be safely escorted to Plainsworth. This she charged us, and we are pleased to have fulfilled her request. If the cathedral is not yet ready to receive Her Eminence, then I could do no less than to eschew the hospitality you’ve offered to me in her favor.”

She listens with half an ear to the sound of Her Eminence approaching.

“As to the levy,” Spite continues, “while we are privileged to stay amongst you, we shall — obviously — contribute to your continued defense.Thus the arms and ammunition you seek will be put to the use described. Upon our departure, we will gladly donate materiel to aid you as you have wisely advised. This seems to me more practical, and — if I may be so bold — would further encourage robust and fair trade between Plainsworth and the Legion. The more we can acquire with coin, the more we can donate to your continued defense when we depart, yes?”

She turns to the side again, bowing low in the saddle.

“Your Eminence,” Bianca says. “It is my honor to introduce Elder Garrimond, who speaks for the Elders of Plainsworth.”

Garrimond’s eyes sparkle, and Spite can see the calculation. The same one she made every day - to trust or to kill, left with little practical middle ground.

The Elders were clearly not practiced with this form of the decision, having wasted the advantage of their wall by responding to Dmitri’s summons, but at the same time, while a shootout would be very one sided, Garrimond had to be equally aware the Remnant, not in a position to swallow Plainsworth without exhausting itself, could ill afford to be turned away.

It was the masterful timing of Shara’s introduction that settled the matter. The woman’s aura of authority had been dinged by the weeks in the hills, but not so much as to be unfit for this occasion.

“Good and free men of Aldermark, children of Mercy’s light,” she smiles and makes a benediction with the same graces that won near half the Legionnaires as lapdogs, “We are so very blessed to be here, united in our faith and our unremitting opposition to evil.”

She accepts Spite’s bow, and Garrimond’s intended response to the Quartermaster’s vagaries was lost to his peers rushing forward to kiss at her feet.

She provides a gold coin to the superstitious soldier, drawing envious looks from his companions.

“Your piety does you credit, sir, but be not afraid. The Legion before you today disclaim their dark past, and travel now with the Lady’s blessing!”

The fat man’s wide mouth crumples from in one corner as he finalises his obligatory obsequences. He forces it back into his slick grin.

“Plainsworth is full, General, and prices at the inns are high. if you cannot procure lodgings for your men, space will be made in the village green for your tents. Keep your Zemyati savages on a short leash, and we will resume our discussion of your donative when you are settled.”

Zinovia has an easy, bemused look to her. She is eying down her own line of soldiers, making sure they are on point. The Marshal knew and trusted the Legion would know what to do if violence erupted. It wasn’t going to happen though. Watching Spite do her thing was always a pleasure. This had been Fang’s opinion ever since she had first met the remarkable woman at various functions of the nobility back in Or.

The way Spite played on the wants and needs of her opponent. The manner of which she used politeness and kindness to disarm. The timing with which she brought forth Her Eminence has been perfect. Zin has actually been forced to bury a sudden laugh at that. Fang had known that when Spite had spurred her horse ahead to meet with this Garrimond, that it had only been a matter of time before the meeting had resolved with the Legion in an advantageous position.

I had initially intended for there to be no way to get through with all their guns and the goodwill of the town, but fair play, rolling out the Bishop of Healing while appealing to their class status and avarice will do it. I dropped the prejudice clock by one tick, and showed the Legion in!

Savages.

The word burned in Dmitri’s throat, even as the Remnant wend its way through the city to the green where they have been billeted. The main road is mostly devoted to the Festival, with full stalls of fruit and grain, stables converted into horse markets and money-changers outside every tavern, but at the edges of the route, there are signs of Plainsworth filled with those fleeing the war.

Merchants, refugees, monks and foreigners, countryfolk press themselves on urban cousins, straining but not breaking the city’s capacity. Straw bedding has been set up under awnings, large open-air pots in alleyways cook a stew that smells of horsemeat, and churches have been hastily converted into hostels for the poorer refugees. The inns and taverns, permanent and makeshift, have an inviting warmth, somewhat countermanded by armed guards ensuring only paying customers enter.

The city seemed healthy still, unmarred, but flush and overripe. A peach that had stayed too long on the vine and was close to rotting.

Yet it is not their kinsman who swarm untrammelled across half the world, commanding the armies of darkness.

Perhaps the Elders were right. To Zemyati, oaths were everything. Maybe the politickers would have broken faith, and they all would have been better for it.

As they march down the curving and cobbled main street in formation, the Legion’s discipline offsets their filthy and ragged appearance.

Men, women and children stare from every window, whispering in hushed tones and refusing to meet the Legion’s gaze. Where a child runs into the street to salute with a toy sword, her mother drags her back and retreats indoors. Templars of Kol, in ominous iron masks and wielding their black iron hammers, supplicate themselves before Shreya before whisking her away to the Twin Temple to prepare for a mass.

The watching crowds give off a miasma of fear, and it is clear to the Legion they are seen as retreating, defeated, remnants, visible reminders of the worsening situation rather than any beacon of hope. It is no surprise, and somewhat of a relief, that the judging eyes do not follow them off the roads into the elegant parts of Plainsworth, where gabled houses have lights off and shutters closed, sitting impassive across comparatively abandoned cobblestone lanes.

The green is in the shadow of a mill, built into a part of the Imperial wall eaten away by the slow movement of the river over the centuries. Two other encamped military units from Ettenmark take up the north and west of the green, and a trio of stone-faced Karlsguard leave the Legionnaires to make their own arrangement for demarcating borders and clearing out the refugees. The Legion men are patient with their chores, lifting tents and securing supplies, but it is clear their spirits are already in the brothels and taverns and markets of Plainsworth, the coin from months of unspent pay burning a hole in their pockets.

Missions:

Kol’s Harvest (Supply)
Commerce is stronger than war. Preparations for the Summer Fair have a frenetic and desperate air to them, but the Elders of Plainsworth have not cancelled the event. People are emptying inventories, trading gold for food or horses, and paying mercenaries for escort to Westlake.

Amongst the merchants, Eadric Tallow is a character as suspicious as he is influential. His work takes him everywhere from the graveyard to stables; from wealthy estates to the nastiest taverns. He has made contact with the more ethically flexible men of the Remnant, and subtly proposed that for his business at the Summer Fair, he would value added muscle… muscle he will happily pay for. To refuse him may make navigating the Fair an expensive proposition. Anyway, it’s easy money, and the men want to take the deal.

Reward: +3 Supply
Penalty: -1 Supply; -1 Morale

Diamond Wolf (Assault)
The Plainsworth militia have long kept watch from Mount Himmerlach, where they light a signal fire at the approach of the horse tribes, bandits or Zemyati raiders.

Most militiamen are a sedentary bunch who signed on for free drinks, not for battling inexorable armies of the dead. Injuries and desertions have plagued them since they tasted defeat at the hands of Breaker’s forces, and the leaders have instructed the militia to abandon the post.

If the Legion will retake the hill, they could reinstating the early warning system for their time in Plainsworth.

Reward: +2 Morale; -1 Time; -2 ticks to the Aldermani Prejudice clock
Penalty: +1 Pressure; +1 Time

Screaming Thorn (Religious, Special, Mystic, Mercy)
Voyis Kariyevich, the Kingfisher Knight, is one of the Sixteen Grand Masters of the Blade, renowned for his skill in battle. He retired entirely from public life over a decade ago, and is said to be cursed. Rather than inflict this on others, he retired nearby to the southern mountain range to spend his days in contemplation, tending a local holy site. If he could be swayed to join and be cleansed, his expertise in combat might would surely be a huge benefit to the Legion.

Reward: Heavy (+2 Actions; free Playbook Advance); all Specialists on the mission mark +2 xp.; +1 Intel
Penalty: +1 Pressure; Render recruits a new Infamous