Heart & Glory – A Fantasy RPG Forged in the Dark

Hey everyone. Update 0.6.5 is up! Here is the devlog link.

I’ve done some modifications and simplifications ahead of an important playtest session.

Changelog

• Minor typo corrections.
  • The Cleric doesn’t have a short sword as starting equipment any more.
  • All classes now have 3d×5 starting coins.
  • Resistance Roll rules changed to be simpler.
  • Recovery Roll rewritten to be clearer.
  • Recovery Roll: when you assign dice to your Heart and Talent stats, if the result is not higher than your stat, you now get +1 to the stat, instead of leaving it as is.
  • Slight modifications and clarifications of the Character Creation section.
  • Fortune Roll: Target Effect added.

I have a not-too-strict plan for moving forward in my head, but I have yet to write it down. My next step will probably be working a bit more on the classes, maybe removing some, maybe adding some new. What I really want to do is to move away from D&D tropes as much as possible.

Any suggestions and comments are totally welcome.

1 Like

@dkusan
Hey, I was interested in continuing the more FitD approach you started with v.5, for a home game, but the Itch page for the older versions seemed bugged when I tried to download it. Do you have the old PDF by any chance?

1 Like

Hey @Discet, I’m sorry I didn’t reply earlier. Life got in the way so I didn’t have time to check on this forum in a while. I am planning to continue work on H&G, but if you are interested in the earlier version, you can download it here. I hope it’s not too late.

2 Likes

@dkusan Yeah, I know you are continuing it, but I wanted to continue it on the track of the Forged System rather than the 2d10 system your working with for the newest versions.
Thanks for responding and this earlier version I appreciate it a bunch! I’ve done a lot of work independently but these will be great for crafting some of the playbooks. Have a good rest of the year

2 Likes

Hello, everyone.

I’m a couple of weeks away from publishing the new version of the game: 0.7. I’m also changing some of the visuals, as you might have noticed already.

I’m very excited about this version, because it’s coming closer to resembling a standalone game. But I’m still concentrating primarily on getting the mechanics right, before I do some writing about it.

While developing this game, I’m also exploring the style of play that I most enjoy. Through playtesting version 0.6, I have discovered I like it even less crunchy and less complicated, so I have stripped away some of the rules, or made them simpler.

My main design goal still remains the same: to have a fantasy game based on the BitD mechanics, but with less structure – although I like the narrative structure of Blades and other FitD/PbtA games, it is not what I want from H&G. I want a game in which genre, structure and the level of player agency are emergent and mutable through play, as much as possible. I still believe the core mechanics of BitD are the best tool for the job.

Here are some of the changes I’m planning to introduce in version 0.7:

• I’m moving away from 2d10+Modifier and returning to standard Blades-like d6 dice pools. – Although 2d10 worked well with some of the mechanics (Action Roll), they didn’t work well at all with other ones (Resistance Rolls).
  • Character classes are now called archetypes. They are defined by mostly descriptive elements: features (skill/backgrounds/affiliations) and miracles (magic spells/rituals).
  • Almost no mechanical progression for characters. Most of it will be moved to Party management. But in-fiction progression is still very much a thing: learning new features.
  • The Harm table is expanded to become the Burdens table, which will be used to track both harm (short- and long-term), heavy equipment/gear and prepared miracles (magic).

I can’t wait to put the new version up and I hope that you will like it. I would also like to thank all of the people who have already playtested, given feedback, downloaded and/or financially supported Heart & Glory. I am endlessly grateful to you.

Stay tuned :slight_smile:

Here’s a work-in-progress version of the v0.7. character sheet, filled with a playtest character:

3 Likes

Version 0.7 is finally here!

I’m really happy with this one: the latest playtests tell me that it’s much more fluid and better balanced. However, there is a lot of playtesting to be done to explore all the new little mechanics.

So, take a look and try it if you like. And if you have opinions, both good and bad, every feedback is much appreciated.

1 Like

Great to see another FitD game that moves mechanical progression to the Crew level. I love how it makes it much more fluid for characters to enter and leave the “party”!

1 Like

After almost a full year, here’s version 0.7.1: https://dkusan.itch.io/heart-and-glory/devlog/376661/version-071-update

first of all, I want to thank everyone who has shown interest and support (including financial support) for this game. I hadn’t updated the game for almost a year, but constant downloads and donations have inspired me to work on it some more and make it the best game it can be.

Despite the small number change, this version has some significant changes, especially with Archetpes. I am trying out the “race-as-class” philosophy of some old-school games – but with much more leeway. I see Archetypes as non-prescriptive – meaning, for example, that not all elves must take the “Elf” archetype. You can declare that your Thief is, in fact, an Elf.

I’m looking to clarify this more in future updates, and I also have some ideas for “multiclassing”. Future versions will also feature some rules that are not adressed but are inherently there if you played Blades, such as clocks and cooperation rules.

I hope you are enjoying this version and I would appreciate any feedback, especially if you have tried the game out.

CHANGELOG:

• Overhaul and rebalancing of Archetypes
  • We now have eight basic Archetypes: Bard, Cleric, Dwarf, Elf, Fighter, Halfling, Thief and Wizard.
  • Added a tenth ability: Engage – for combat.
  • Attributes (former Insight, Prowess and Resolve) are now called Resistances. They are: Agility, Constitution and Wits. They are decoupled from Abilities and dependent solely on Archetypes.
  • Burdens now have two segments per level instead of three.
  • Burdens are now explained in short in the “Fictional Components” section.
  • All Features are listed alphabetically in the Appendix at the end of the document.
  • Price/Purchase track is now called “Spending Track”.
  • Minor rules changes in Party Upgrades.
  • Some text tweaks and clarifications.
  • a little bit of fancy cross-referencing with page links (more coming in future updates).
4 Likes