Odyssey Aquatica, 1960s oceanographic adventure playset

My first stab at a paragon playset is now available:

https://olddoggames.itch.io/odyssey-aquatica

It’s Jacques Cousteau, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, some Subnautica in there too.

I’ve always wanted to do a Life Aquatic RPG of some kind and Paragon felt like the perfect fit! Check it out, let me know what you think.

7 Likes

Tim, this is SO GOOD. You have raised the bar with this one.

5 Likes

Thanks John! I felt I needed to put a bit of special effort in since I knew it was such a niche idea (inspired by a film from 17 years ago that was a commercial flop, haha).

3 Likes

Really incredible! I’ve been a bit scared to put this much work into a playset, but you make me wanna return to my released ones and make them super cool.

2 Likes

Your work is awesome.
It’s really really inspiring. Thank you: now I want even more to work on my next one.

3 Likes

What made you feel like Paragon was the best fit for this? I think it is a great choice, I’m just curious what your thoughts are.

I’ve actually wanted to make a Life Aquatic game for quite a while, partly just to play around with the aesthetic in layout. But it always felt like overkill - like if it was a Forged in the Dark game, do you really need multiple playbooks and long equipment lists and a long-term campaign within that kind of kooky Wes Anderson premise? It probably wouldn’t hold up.

Paragon felt like the perfect fit; it’s fast-paced, no playbooks or other extra baggage, and a resolution system that’s abstract enough that it can easily adapt to anything from a gunfight against pirates to a deep-sea dive to piloting a submarine to starring in your own oceanographic documentary. It’s an agile system in that way, it can contain multitudes.

And then once I gave it more serious thought, the parallels become more obvious - Jacques Cousteau had a real thing for the Odyssey, which ties it back to AGON, and of course the whole “genre” of oceanographic adventure science is essentially a group of protagonists going from situation to situation in a boat… It just felt like a neat fit!

4 Likes

Those are great reasons! Yeah, sounds like it is a great choice. Plus, like you’ve said elsewhere, the playset format lets you focus on the theme and presentation (which is also my primary interest).

1 Like