Paragon System: what's the playset you're working on?

I’m really excited about the Paragon System (and Agon, of course - right now is my favorite game). I know some users in the forum are working on playsets and I’m super excited also about that.
So, I’m wondering if you want to share the idea / the pitch of your playset.

Ours (I’m working on the playset with a friend of mine) is called Memories of the Fallen and it is inspired by Malazan Book of the Fallen, Berserk, and Band of Blades - and I can’t wait to show you our hack.

3 Likes

I’m working on:

• Storm Furies (BSG style space pilots)
  • Maledictum (cursed paladins)
  • Ride or Die (Fast & Furious racers)
  • Danger Patrol (adapting my old pulp action game to Paragon)
4 Likes

Danger Patrol gave to me a LOT of fun in the past. And there is a little bit (a very little bit) in our Paragon game from it :smiley:

1 Like

I’m working on:

SURGE PROTECTORS (Saturday morning cartoon shapeshifting robots)
Noodling on a playset about Adolescents Genetically Altered Martial Art Testudines.

3 Likes

I’m using the Paragon system to keep myself intentionally limited, making sure my first “game” is small (as the advice goes).

Star-bones, an extremely piratey flavored game about journeying into a strange sea with weird Annihilation / Stalker style touches.

A “twist” I’d like to bring to the game is grouping islands into “Seas”. Each sea has its own distinctive elements (like a sea teeming with leviathan beasts, or one that is dominated by a large, ruin strewed island). Players can spend multiple sessions in each sea, but each session should look much like a traditional island structure. I’m also hoping to inject an element of consequence by having certain “troubles” follow them from island to island, even between seas.

I’d like to strike a balance between intriguing campaign long threads, and the nice tight “bottle episode” nature of the Agon islands.

2 Likes

OH I’m also wanting to work on a Mr. Robot + Psychonauts (Inception) + Hypnospace Outlaw game about broken hackers taking down evil organizations via the dream internet.

1 Like

I’m wanting to modify the system to be for the Fate franchise (the anime focusing on holy grail wars etc). I think a lot will have to be modified, particularly the Divine Favor, i would probably up the die size and give a max of 3 slots. I’m not yet sure if each session should be a war on its own or if there should be stages and it should span multiple wars. There’s definitely a lot of narrative elements I need to alter but I think the system is the best way to represent the fights due to the epic nature of the conflicts.

1 Like

Right now I’m working on a magical girls playset called Beauty of Destiny. (It is, uh, very Sailor Moon-inspired.) It’s definitely going for “monster-of-the-week is a minor nuisance to a small town in Japan” feeling, but… I am highly tempted to throw in a “All right, you filled in the Vault of Heaven equivalent, the team gets one final mission” twist in there.

1 Like

YES PLEASE. I need a Sailor Moon playset - and I hope someone will do a She-Ra playset too :smiley:

In the meantime we’re working of the final layout for Memories of the Fallen, I’m starting to think about a Law & Order playset.
It’s just an idea, right now - but I’d like to work on a very different kind of fiction for our second playset.

I’m working on a currently untitled monster-of-the-week game in a Gnostic setting. The protagonists are trying to save lives and vanquish evils in which the Archons (malevolent cosmic puppet masters) usually have some hand.

Right now I’m figuring out how to adapt (and whether I need to adapt) the mechanics surrounding the gods to represent a much more antagonistic relationship.

1 Like

It seems super cool.

A friend and I are almost done with our “Space-faring Bounty Hunter” Pargaon playset. Inspired by ‘Firefly’, ‘The Mandalorian’ and ‘Cowboy Bebop’. I can’t wait for someone else to run it so I can play it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Exciting! Love that genre.

1 Like

YES!

Have you checked Scum & Villainy also as a source of inspiration?

3 Likes

I’ll be honest I only recently became aware of Scum and Villainy and now I feel a little foolish for designing a game so similar. But I am confident that the different systems will lead to very different games, plus my playset focuses specifically on bounty hunters and their role in the universe of the game. I really want to play a game of S&V now though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Similarity is no issue! Any given genre already has dozens of games exploring them; they are all cool and unique expressions!

3 Likes

Yes, my post was of course a suggestion (like: take a look at S&V - it’s a great source of inspiration).
For example, I made a playset inspired by Band of Blades (another great forged game).

1 Like