STORM FURIES: Paragon Playset

STORM FURIES is a space combat playset about starfighter pilots battling the menace of the synthetic Forged.

storm_furies_cover_med

It’s a somewhat expanded playset format, larger than CHAMBER, with even more tweaks to the core system.

I’m particularly happy with Expressions, which are a combination of Legendary Virtues and Divine Favor, giving the pilots leverage in the game system from their personal passions and drives.

There’s also a system for tracking harm to NPC members of the squadron, which could be used in AGON if you want to give more detail to the NPC sailors and their plight.

You can get the playset at my itch store, here:
https://johnharper.itch.io/storm-furies

8 Likes

This is so cool! Expressions are some dang hot tech (kind of wish we thought about them when making AGON!).

2 Likes

This looks a bit like special abilities are back… nice! Will steal that for sure :slight_smile:

Hi John - as I said on Twitter, it’s an amazing playset.
I have a question: if I understood right, every mission takes place on board the fighter. If yes, what’s the role of the Medic? I mean, how can the Medic use his role during a contest if he is inside his fighter?
Or some heroes can stay in the main ship during a mission (like, you know, Tig or Tyrol in BSG).

Thank you!

Bought it as soon as I saw the announcement, can’t wait to run it for my group. One question though: are there Roll20 sheets coming?

You mentioned that this would show some of the further ways we can push the paragon system, and this certainly delivered!
I’m actually a bit intimidated with how far I might be able to push the system now…

2 Likes

A lot of engagements will be in the stormcraft, but not all of them. The Furies visit the worlds of the Storm and do stuff outside their fighters, too.

1 Like

It makes sense. Thank you.

Hey, I also have a question: As I understand it, only the player of a character can assign a mark in the “Forged” expression to that character, but any player can assign any other expression to any character. Am I getting that right?

And also: Revealing a character to be Forged charges the expression instantly, but is a character whose “Forged” expression becomes charged for the first time then automatically revealed as Forged or are they, for example, simply highly suspicious and might expend that charge to do something extraordinary in order to alleviate suspicion?
(I might just have answered that one for myself right there, but I’d love to hear everyone’s toughts)

Yep, you have it all right.

2 Likes

Some fan art I put together to get my players in the mood.

5 Likes

Love it. Bought it instantly when I discovered it existence.

Typos:

• Sheets, Resource Effects: Sorm Drive --> Storm Drive

​- Playset, pg11, Pyramid (see page 11) --> (see page 12)
​​- Playset, pg12, materiel --> material

And are there anywhere examples for Battles (more specific Threats to DEFEND against)?

3 Likes

What a brilliant twist on Agon, like the BoB resource management aspect too. Ace. Couple of questions:

1. In Agon I like the whole ‘who will face this contest?!’ thing - people keeping that here (perhaps driven by Strand/XO narrative) or not needed.

2. Balance of ship combat to non-ship combat when running the missions for each system.

3. Let the game evolve completely organically, or have some broad ‘end game’ goal/climatic event, a la Skydagger Keep in BoB.

Cheers!

Jim

1. In this context I think you can do a X-wing fighter “reporting in” moment where each pilot relays their attributes. I find it helpful in any Paragon hack!
  2. Let the narrative and players decide! If people are wanting more ships, do more ships. You can adapt the “squadron” damage widget for ground missions by using the crews of the ships instead of the ships themselves.
  3. I think organic is the intended direction - using the machine-Pyramids as chapter and campaign finales seems like a good way to add some dramatic spice! Maybe they get progressively more scary and pyramid-like.

Cheers mate - great answers. I ran this for my group (old timer players lots of experience with different systems) and it went down brilliantly. Fantastic hack.

1 Like

Six months on, my group have requested we revisit SF at our annual RPG retreat in January. I am now wracking my brain trying to recall cool scenes from squadron-based TV/movies that I can use as inspiration for contests! Any suggestions greatly appreciated :slight_smile: