The Unnamed Fantasy Game

Hi there, Stormcaller! This thread is very much to my interests, so thank you for sharing this with us! It looks really really cool so far and I do hope that you will see this through!

A question: The working document you linked above, is it just me or can i not save this to my harddrive? I’d love to be able to have this as a pdf on my tablet and maybe even print out to read it properly. Do you think you’d be willing to enable that? (or maybe it’s just me and my really old and crappy computer… :cry:

Hi there- I went looking and yeah, it appears when I was working on it at some point I disabled the ability to save, print, or copy the document. I’ve enabled that again, so it should be available to you now.

I do intend to continue with it, I just need to find the time to work on it, as well as… well, everything else. :sweat_smile: My desk is covered in miniatures, paint, watercolor pens, half-sketched world maps, dice, rulebooks, and more things that are reminding me I’ve been neglecting them. But at least I have the laundry and dishes done every week, right?

1 Like

Thank you, I will check it out tomorrow (I still might “stumble” over my old computer, but my fingers are crossed).

Oh I hear you! Time is always in short supply, unfortunately. I have way too many started projects that I’d love to finish someday. But sometimes it’s hard to work in a void. So I hope our interest is more help than hindrance. No pressure! And if you have maps for this fantasy FitD project, I’d love to see them…big map addict here ^^

No official maps of yet, I’m afraid. My original intent was to leave the broader swathes of the world nebulous, so that gamemasters could decide where the Kordh homelands are, for instance. My freshman efforts at mapmaking were done with the game in mind, however, and this is the result:

The island chain in the right center I envisioned as home to a sprawling city, with the lesser islands and the bridges between them filled with buildings, along with a pair of fortifications on the larger islands acting as gatekeepers to the harbor. I thought that it might extend out onto the mainland, with the furthest reaches being farms, then poorer districts, with affluent citizens becoming more commonplace as you get closer to the large islands.

I pictured (and should eventually add, in a future version) scattered orc settlements on the eastern coast: fishing villages that work hard to pull in the massive amount of piscine protein that the inhabitants need (I figure an adult orc requires roughly eight pounds of meat per day, as they’re obligate predators), as well as trading (or raiding) for whatever else they require.

The hills between the two lakes I thought would be a good area for a few dwarven outposts, though they don’t use them all the time- they travel with the herds from location to location, leaving only small groups of caretakers at the settlements they’re not using.

The large forest to the southwest seemed like a good spot for some Sceadu to call home, while further north beyond all the trees could be a place for some Kordh villages or towns. The Pan would have no permanent settlements on the map, though they’d have several travel routes that their caravans follow, both looping through the area from the Southeast, and continuing in a wide arc from the Southeast up to the North to follow (roughly) the coastline.

The Mara, Guhartin, and Goblins mostly live amongst the rest, though thinking about it, the area where the swamp meets the forest on the coast would probably be a good place for Goblins, what with their dietary habits. And everyone breathes easier when the Goblins are off on their own, where you’re less likely to offend them by accident.

1 Like

Having written up short blurbs on the different heritage packages, I’ve started work (finally) on the band types, adding more rough information to the end of the document (just before the aforementioned heritage blurbs); it’s not fleshed out or carefully balanced yet, it’s just ideas I had at 2am that I partially recall having slept since then.

I want each of the band types to have its own feel to it, something that makes it distinct from the others in how you approach it. So far I’ve only been working on the special abilities, but I’ll add upgrades later on.

The Pilgrim band type is meant to be religious or supernatural in nature; this may be a group on a set pilgrimage to a particular location, or it might be a group of priests and laypeople constantly following a route through towns and villages to minister to the faithful. You could even use them as a band of mages or the like. I want them to feel resilient, magically capable, and overcoming obstacles through faith (theirs and others) as much as anything else.

The Explorers are designed to constantly push frontiers, reach new places, and blaze trails. They’re superior to the rest when they’re in unfamiliar territory, and there’s supposed to be a dash of Indiana Jones-style exploring lost civilizations feel. If you’re wanting something close to dungeon crawls, this is the band type that’ll fit.

Mercenaries are your military campaign- your PCs are commanding officers, and the cohorts/coteries are the troops. Designed for lots of combat, and I’m thinking the seventh SA should be something that enhances the Train downtime action. Letter of Marque is probably going to attract murderhobo-ish activities, but it felt appropriate, and I’ll see if I can’t make something other than a license to be legal Outlaws.

Tradesmen are your merchants and craftsmen. David Eddings has had a few characters who were running mercantile empires in the wings, and I found the idea fascinating, so I wanted to include that option. This is the band that is going to have lots of coin and ways to use it to get around obstacles.

Outlaws are your bandits, pirates, Robin Hoods, and so on. You’re always on the run from the law, regardless of if you or they are the baddies, and you live on the outskirts of civilization. Direct fights are more the mercenaries’ gig; the outlaws are intended to be closer to traditional Blades scoundrels.

And the Entertainers are your circuses, carnivals, fortune tellers, thespians, musicians, and so on. You put on a good show, navigate society (polite and otherwise), make some coin, and then return to your wagons (or tents, or whatever) and unload all the stress that comes with propping up someone else’s fantasies long enough to make a living.

2 Likes

This sounds fantastic! The crew is the only piece i think really missing for me to try this game out within my existing campaign.

I was actually thinking of making a crew element tied to a specific town- something they’d have to re-establish when moving to a new town. Essentially their relationships with various town resources. Hoping to read what you’ve got soon- and hear more if you’ve been continuing along!