BitD Rules FAQ / Clarification Reference Doc

Thanks for pointing that out! I’d edit the original post but I don’t seem to be able to anymore.

1 Like

Re editing, best I can do as a moderator is make your first post a wiki.That’d allow any user to edit it though. But if there was ever any trouble with spurious edits, mods can go back to previous revisions or turn it back into a normal post.

A wiki is fine with me and in the spirit of this type of document.

1 Like

Cool and done! Let me know if there’s anything else.

1 Like

Hmmm, is that section so clear cut? If my players ask to help on a downtime activity, I ask “I know you guys works together, but are you friends?”

I don’t think pushing for dice or taking devil’s bargain after rolling makes any sense. It certainly not allowed by the rules, except maybe the GM’s prerogative to break any rules rather than play something heinous. Also, I wonder at the wisdom of allowing pushing for effect after the roll. See: https://community.bladesinthedark.com/t/adjusting-effect-after-the-roll/1578

I wonder if the better answer is simply: you should make all your decisions before the roll. Only if you make a mistake or something else extraordinary should you allow pushing after the roll.

Regarding assistance for long-term projects (and other downtime activities) I am going by the discussion here and @John_Harper’s replies : https://community.bladesinthedark.com/t/assistance-during-downtime-activities/1256

1 Like

Regarding increasing the effect after the roll by pushing yourself, if I’m reading it right, the example of play on page 40 has a player rolling an action, then upon hearing the effect wasn’t great enough, pushing themselves to raise it to extreme effect.

That’s a good point about whether other PC’s count as “friends”. My reading was that “friend” referred to NPCs in the friends/rivals list, and “contacts” are from the contacts listed on the crew sheet.

1 Like

I may be mistaken, but my interpretation of those linked discussions and the action roll summary rules are that:

• The GM should clearly set the position and effect before the roll.

• Everyone can discuss why that’s the case and how to alter it based on the approaches and actions they take (plus tier, quality, scale, etc.)

• Pushing yourself, Devil’s Bargains, or assists for +1d are done before the roll – no adding an extra die or two after the roll just because you didn’t like the result.

• Regardless of the roll, the GM doesn’t change the effect level that was agreed upon.

• But the player may still push themself for +1 effect after the roll, as in the rulebook’s example.

While its common for folks to interpret that example as the rules allowing you to pushing for effect after the roll, I think that’s a misunderstanding. See John’s comment, particularly:

Two things i read here:

1. The rules don’t allow you to push for effect after the roll.
  2. Focus on creating a smooth, functional game rather than on following the rules perfectly.

Your FAQ is another good opportunity to dispel that misunderstanding.

1 Like

@watergoesred How about this updated answer? ^^^ Thanks for helping me get this straight!

1 Like

I think that’s great

1 Like

Wow. Thanks for sharing. This is very useful!

1 Like

Is it OK to ask additional clarifying questions here? If yes, how does the part “You are immune to the terror that some supernatural entities inflict on sight.” in

iron will
You are immune to the terror that some supernatural entities inflict on sight.
When you make a resistance roll with Resolve, take +1d.

work?

Is this just flavor text OR is it actually part of the ability? If a character has it, they don’t get frozen upon sight, but all other characters without this ability will?

I read that as two abilities united by the “iron will” theme:

1. The first sentence allows the PC to ignore the “freeze or flee” consequence others would suffer when confronted with dangerous ghosts, demons, etc.

2. The +1d to resistance rolls with Resolve seems to apply to all situations, not just the supernatural.

At least that’s how I read it.

2 Likes

That would be my interpretation too, I just want to confirm.

For reducing heat: is the roll done with the Action dice used or with a fortune roll?

If with Action dice, is the intent that if the party has high Consort/Command/Sway character, they can very effectively reduce the heat after every score through having that character use that action after every score?

Reducing heat is done with a fortune roll that uses an action rating for its dice pool. Position and effect don’t apply–you just reduce the heat more or less based on the result.

In practice, a player is usually rolling a “social” action like COMMAND or CONSORT (as is shown in the rulebook) or SWAY and saying how they spread disinformation or placate the authorities, but any action can be used if it can be justified in the narrative.

For example, I’ve seen HUNT used to track down and silence a gossiper, and a PROWL to sneak into a bedroom at night and leave an ominous message (like the Godfather’s severed horse head scene). Another example in the book has a player WRECK shops so the locals know to keep their mouths shut. I can imagine ways someone could STUDY legal loopholes or ATTUNE with supernatural beings who exert secret influence over the city.

2 Likes

Thank you!