I’m very taken by the concept of life paths (as seen in Burning Wheel and Shadowrun) and Traveler’s (in)famous gambler’s ruin-esc character creation system. I am attempting to do generate a similar system, but I cannot seem to get the balance quite right to make it feel like a lethal but potentially rewarding character generation system. I am also heavily enamored with Dogs in the Vineyard’s chargen capstone where players are able to get a little extra something for their character if they do a ten minute solo adventure with the GM.
I’m very interested in synthesizing a mechano-narrative system that incorporates these very disparate systems.
Right now, at chargen I offer one action rating or playbook experience point or Clout (my rendering of Rep and Coin into a single currency) for each question answered by the player:
- Who are your people?
- How did you get the suit you wear now?
- What got you into the Lancer’s life?
- Who can turn your world upside down?
- What annoying quirk does your suit have?
- What extraordinary sight changed you forever?
- How did you get those scars?
- What do you do to cope with stress?
- Who have you sworn to never aid or assist?
I’m going to do some more research, but any assistance you could give would be great