Once, there were bold Errants who took up revolutionary arms in the beguiling wilds of a folklore forest. They braved duels, courted romance, and pursued their quarry in fields and noble courts alike. They sought power through high magic and fair bargain, suffered betrayals, took bloody revenge, reveled in victory, defied death, and told tales of high-flying adventure.
Errant Deeds: Tall Tales in the Blackwood is a Forged in the Dark roleplaying game of tall tales told by these Errants. We play to find out if our fellowship thrived amidst the tangled threats of meddling elves, a realm in peril, and the tension between each Errant’s calling and follies.
Our adventure already happened. We gather many years later in a roadside inn to recount (and embellish) the deeds that brought us together. One of us plays the Innkeeper, who knows more about our tales than they let on. The rest of us assume the role of one of four errant archetypes:
Blades are hardy warriors.
Hunters are crafty trackers and sharpshooters.
Jacks are agile and lucky tricksters.
Sages are wise and learned scholars.
The Blackwood tangled around our every step. Which of us lived, and which of us became voices from beyond the grave? Only the tale will tell.
- Streamlined and reflavored Forged in the Dark gameplay mechanics.
- Get into thrilling moments of folklore trouble with your friends and exaggerate yourselves back out of it.
- Includes a one shot adventure that can be used as a starting situation for an ongoing campaign.
- Content tools built into gameplay.
- Includes printable play aids for content tools and “vines,” Errant Deed’s equivalent of the Clocks mechanic.
- Full support for the faction level of play, including districts and claims.
Get the Game
Errant Deeds is currently a playtest kit available on both DriveThruRPG and Itch.io:
Paying for the product now will give you access to every update all the way through to the final release of the finished game. But if you’re unable to pay right now, you’ve got two options:
- Plain-text document available as a free demo on Itch.
- Community Copies available on Itch for folks who need them.
Hear What it’s Like
There are a few episodes of playtest AP on the Play/Test Podcast to give you an idea of how gameplay works:
There’s also an official companion piece in the form of The Tale of Hunter’s Bay, a full-cast audio drama that captures the spirit of gameplay (note: this is not an AP!). All episodes of The Tale of Hunter’s Bay will be available on your favorite podcatcher and on the Misdirected Mark website. Direct links here:
- Theme Song
- Episode 1: Our Tale Begins
- Episode 2: The Errant’s Tale
- Episode 3: The Clerk’s Tale
I’ll be posting updates in this thread and would love to hear your thoughts! I’ll also be looking to playtest starting early 2020, and I’m sure I’ll do some recruiting here. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to get you fine folks excited about this project.