Hey folks! I’ve been working on this game for a while, and it’s undergone several transformations, including me literally moving it to another planet. I’m currently working on a playtestable version, and have some fun previews to share of my progress. Expect a full document with everything needed to playtest sometime in the coming months - for the moment, i’d love to share my progress, and invite any and all feedback and discussion.
Fall of the Red Planet is a game about a daring and idealistic group of super-powered “undesirables”, working together to survive under the occupation of the Martian Empire in futuristic cityscapes, empty and lethal wastelands and dark and dusty tunnels of a Colonized Mars. There are high-stakes missions, hard choices, chases and escapes, burned relationships, powerful rivals and allies, spectacular fights, deceptions, betrayals, victories, and deaths. Above all, there’s the chance to make a name for yourself, and with it, the chance to make a difference.
Which comes first? The things that drive you, that make you who you are, or the way the world will see you for it?
We play to find out if our crew can survive and pursue their goals, without compromising their ideals, amidst the many dangers of the authoritarian occupying forces, rival teams, powerful corporations, criminal organizations, the uncompromising forces of the status quo, and each crew member’s own problems, past, drives and vices.
- Powers , customizable fictional abilities written by the players, who bring their own troubles, including mundane abilities, and artifacts, items that have power
- Drives , customizable experience triggers written by the players, including one personal drive, and one for which the Crew choice provides context
- Renown/Fame , the main resource, which combines social standing and material assets, functioning somewhat like reverse heat. Be rewarded for being seen and heard!
- Trust & Rivalry , a system to track different levels of supportive and not-so-supportive relationships with the NPCs of the world, including mechanical benefits and penalties
- Fluid Narrative Arcs: Longer or shorter; spend renown on experience, experience on important long-term-projects, and ‘prestige’ completed ‘blocks’ of actions to spend ‘dead’ exp.
- Sci-fi Cohorts, A Starting Situation for each crew, and many factions…
10 Character Playbooks:
- The Agent , a smooth operator, influential and informed.
- The Charmed , a masked enigma, manipulative and dramatic.
- The Demigod , a godlike being, learning to control their power.
- The Firebrand , a passionate speaker, here to cause disorder
- The Icon , a beacon of inspiration, standing tall in the face of adversity
- The Mastermind , a power-suited center of attention, resourceful and brilliant
- The New Kid , an empathetic do-gooder, new on the scene
- The Possessed , a gifted scientist, who fights for control of their power
- The Professional , a team-player stealth operative, always has a back-up plan
- The Soldier , a talented fighter, pursuing a mission of their own
3 Crew Playbooks: (with 3 more coming)
- Guardians defend and punch up against the giants of the status quo
- Rebels destabilize the status quo, and fight the Empire
- Hunters investigate cases or hunt down Supes
- [Coming Soon] Operatives perform paramilitary operations and sneaking missions
- [Coming Soon] Runners steal from and screw over the Corps
- [Coming Soon] Thugs fight for the highest bidder, or enact villainous plans