Fall of the Red Planet - Sci-fi Superheroes (Alpha)

Emerging from the forges of “oh god why did i move my game to another planet”, Neon Heroes has been reborn as Fall of the Red Planet, superpowered roleplaying forged in the dark.

Fall of the Red Planet is a game about super-powered adventures in a fictional future city, a century after the colonization of Mars. In this world, so-called “Supers” have existed for a long time and in many varieties, and not so long ago they became part of the tools that founded a Totalitarian Empire on the Red Planet. This is a game about fast-paced, hard-hitting action, tension and intrigue in a sci-fi world that aims to be grounded in humanity, and as familiar as it is fantastic. Player Characters are driven, powerful and influential. Forged in the dark turned up to 11.

All of it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m4vYY9hvpUb7iB0yTh-Jrl0XCp6yHk2nMmfv7u1YZYY/edit?usp=sharing
Now including:

• Full basic rules, including Origins & Drives, Powers, Renown & Infamy, and cohorts
  • Basic descriptions of Megacity Seven and its Factions
  • 10 Character Playbooks, highly re-vamped since the setting change
  • 1 Crew Playbook for the playtest: Guardians work within their community, protecting it, and strengthening it against the forces that would attack it. (and more coming soon!)

i would absolutely love it if y’all took a look at my baby, let me know what you think! feel free to comment, question, critisize, tell me i’m missing obvious things, etc. - don’t hold back! :smile:

Playtesting, and what then?
(Jacob Segal) #2

I just took a look at your doc. There are a lot of details that I love!

I like the differentiation between Control and Unleash. It feels very intuitive to me.

I’m also impressed with the number of playbooks. Between 10 options and customizable powers, you have a lot of character options there. I also love the option to play a Mundane of comparable power. I’d be curious to see an Energy power example, though.

I didn’t feel like I got the best sense of what I can expect to do in the system, though, especially as Guardians. I know that there are going to be moral questions, and we play to find out whether the players can remain heroic or become the villains, but on a score-to-score scope, what is the action? I can imagine thwarting villains, but what are those villains’ goals, and how do I thwart them?

For example, the BitD blurb says:
“There are heists, chases, occult mysteries, dangerous bargains, bloody skirmishes, and, above all, riches to be had — if you’re bold enough to seize them.”
So we know what kinds of scores are going on,and what they goals are (get money and power). BitD also has “hunting grounds,” which gives specifics for each crew. The Bravos are going to do “battle, extortion, sabotage, and smash & grab.”

We know that the Guardians want to protect, but this goal is akin to “maintain the status quo.” How are they protecting, what are they protect against, and what is the end goal? Maybe it would help to emphasize a goal like “strengthen the community so it can stand on its own.” Then it’s clearer that the types of scores would be gaining power for the community.

thanks for the feedback, that gives me a lot of stuff to consider. i’ve always found hunting grounds to be something that doesn’t come into play often, and may have underestimated its ability to point the players in a fictional direction. My main thoughts are that, as you say, the experience is customizable. Each PC will end up having a personal drive, and a drive chosen within the context of the Crew. My aim is that these drives in combination with the faction relations and exp triggers provide this ‘direction’ through play, in combination with the simple goal of becoming more renowned. But, more specific examples could certainly be helpful. Right now i aim to give every crew a starting situation, but i think you may have just convinced to write at least some kind of list of example jobs, or a table with them.

(Jacob Segal) #4

I feel the same way about hunting grounds, and I haven’t included them in my have yet. I may include them less as a mechanical device and more as examples. But in my Blades games I’ve never really used them, or even limited scores to them.