Hi, I’m new to these forums, but I tend to browse a lot of different game design discords and forums without posting. I’m wondering if anyone can help talk me through some design aspects I’m working on, or help with some dice math that I’m not very good at. I tend to just keep design thoughts to myself, but this has been a bit of a hurdle for me, so I think I need outside opinions.
I’ve been toying with the idea for a system that combines Forged in the Dark and Technoir . The main things I’ll bullet point:
- Action ratings go from 1-6 instead of 0-4. While I like the high stakes feel FitD dice give, in play it feels more punishing than I want for different design goal reasons. Still the “count the highest roll.”
- Attributes, but no resistance rolls . I’m hoping they will not be necessary with less punishing consequences, and also it always felt a little clunky and hard to remember at the table.
- Success tiers are now 1-3 /consequence, 4-6 /mixed success, and multiple 6’s (I call them 6+ )/full successes. I’m hoping the increased dice pool and success tiers basically makes it so mixed successes are overly abundant, while failures are a result of accumulating consequences, which brings me to
- Hurt dice from Technoir. Whatever the hurt dice roll, those numbers are removed from being counted in your regular roll. You get hurt dice from fictional consequences like harm and such.
- Still debating on what to do when all dice are removed. It can go either way with being positive or negative. Calling it 0+ in my notes.
- Position and Effect are still used . Greater effect is now a list that players can choose from to add to their normal success.
My biggest hurdle is not knowing how to do that math for the dice, both counting multiple 6’s and how hurt dice factor in. If anyone has any advice or questions please let me know! Thank you!