Functional Vice question

For the Spider playbook advance Functional Advice, I’m trying to get a grip on what the language means:

When you indulge your Vice, you may adjust the dice outcome by 1 or 2

Mostly, it seems pretty clear, but does it mean when you roll a 6, you can lose 8 stress if desired. Or does the result still cap at 6? Is it “adjust the dice range between 1-6, roll depending ala changing between outcomes the dice could have rolled or does it mean “adjust the dice range between 1-8”, ala up to 2 better than what the dice rolls.

To me the range is still 1 to 6, that’s how we have been playing it.

We’ve played it the other way, which does make Functioning Vice the most powerful special ability in the game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it does seem powerful if played this way.

I think next time I start a campaign I’ll make it “adjust by 1 or 2 within the d6 range” but it is what it is for my current game.

1 Like

We’ve played it the other way, which does make Functioning Vice the most powerful special ability in the game :slight_smile:

It is very powerful and convenient, but I would argue that “A little something on the side” (+2 Stash at the end of each downtime) is more powerful. It grants you 2 Stash, that you can use to have 1 extra downtime action that will clear 3-4 Stress more (akin to Functioning Vice), BUT you could also use those 2 Stash for other things if you prefer.

Yes, Functioning Vice also has the effect of making overindulgence pretty much impossible, but I am not sure this is really an advantage: the effects of overindulgence are FUN and have minimal (if any) mechanical drawbacks.

Yeah - I can accept that argument. Same as a location that generates coin. :slight_smile: