I just created an Expanded Entanglements Table!

After playing for a while, some results on the Entanglements Table became a bit repetitive.
Thus, I created a new and much expanded table. Here it is, enjoy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mUHHYdV0VU8Ey69oUzMxeLc1lMavFohC/view?usp=sharing

It has not yet been playtested. If some entries appear to be “unbalanced” or could be made better, I’d love to hear your suggestions!
(you can also add Comments directly on the PDF)

9 Likes

This is a great piece of hacking! My favourite is Crisis of Faith mostly because outside running a cult crew there are not a lot of mechanics that touch of faith. And I like the balance of having an original and a new entanglement as often as you can manage - helps ease this in.

There are certainly some that need tweaking, but so far I’ve not seen any that are completely broken. I generally feel that they are a little on the harsh side, in that there is rarely an option to resolving without cost if you’re willing to take a risk. Not sure if that’s just personal preference.

Robbery for example seems a little extreme - 2 stash from every character might be 8 or 10 stash for a large group. Compare that to the size of bribes needed in other situations - 4-6 coin in total. Maybe 1 stash each would match better, with an opportunity to recover this stash in addition on the next score against that faction. I’ll leave notes for others directly on the pdf.

Also, I must say this is beautifully formatted - looks like it would slip right into the print book :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! Glad that the formatting was appreciated: setting all the “rep” and “coin” in the slightly different, small-cap font was a pain in the ass honestly :slight_smile:

They might be a little too harsh, even though many Entanglements in the book are very harsh too (Reprisals can cause you to lose 6 or 8 coin, Show of force can cause you to permanently lose a Claim, etc.).

About Robbery , I made it on purpose to be punishing towards larger groups (which enjoy a huge advantage in Blades play compared to smaller groups, due to more downtime activities, more available Stress, etc). Still, I should have included a “way out” of some sort, like “lose 2 stash unless you go to war” or something.
I’ll probably make some fixes in a few weeks (once I’ve tested them a bit, and/or received some more feedback).

3 Likes

Do “Spirit Guards” means “Spirits Wardens”?

Additionaly, Incarcernated Cohort -3 Heat has no effect: “When one of your crew members, friends, contacts - or a framed enemy - is convited and incarcerated for crimes associated with your crew, your Wanted Level is reduced by 1 and you clear your Heat (Blades in the Dark, 148)”. Better to just write a reminder to clear Wanted Level and Heat.
Additionally, I think the cost is extremely high - maybe you should limit it to 10-12 (10+ Coin: A major score; impressive loot)?

Do “Spirit Guards” means “Spirits Wardens”?

Yes, I guess I was overzealous in respecting the letter of the law (the SRD license states that no part of the Doskvol setting can be included; ie the Entanglements on the website always say “cops” and never mention "Bluecoats).

Incarcernated Cohort -3 Heat has no effect: “When one of your crew members, friends, contacts - or a framed enemy - is convited and incarcerated for crimes associated with your crew, your Wanted Level is reduced by 1 and you clear your Heat

To get this effect, though, the Cohort should be incarcerated for the time prescribed by your Wanted level (that is, possibly many years), rather than “just” for 1d6 Scores.
My reasoning was this Entanglements represent you Cohort getting incarcerated for something relatively minor, so their sentence is not too long, BUT on the other hand it clears just 3 Heat rather than the whole Heat bar + 1 wanted level.
Moreover, according to standard rules your Heat clears and you reduce Wanted level by 1 only if your ally/cohort actually gets incarcerated. In this Entanglement, on the other hand, you’d get -3 to Heat even if you pay the cops to prevent incarceration.
I’ll concede this is probably an overcomplication, though… it’s easier to just keep the standard rules you quoted.

I think the cost is extremely high - maybe you should limit it to 10-12

Currently it’s limited to 9 Coin (it’s “1 + double your wanted level”, which maxes out at 1+ 2x4 = 9)
In most cases, that will be less Coin than the “pay 3 + Wanted level Coin” prescribed by the book for the “Arrest” Entanglements (it will be more than that only if your Wanted level is 3 or 4).

Sorry. I mistaken Wanted Level with Heat. Maybe you should add a clarification about the Incarcernation not clearing your Wanted Level.

Love the variety you’ve put in here. I’ll start playtesting and will add comments as I learn.

1 Like

Glad to know!
I’ve just updated the table with some suggestions I received here and elsewhere (added some more mentions of “friends/contacts/vice purveyors” rather than just Cohorts; clarified “Incarcerated Cohorts”; nerfed “Robbery” since it was too punishing).

The PDF url is always the same ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mUHHYdV0VU8Ey69oUzMxeLc1lMavFohC/view?usp=sharing )

5 Likes