List of Factions (and Ward Bosses) by District?

In preparing to GM my first-ever game of BitD with a group of all-new-to-the-game players, I was reviewing the crew creation process. I was thinking about my newbie players choosing a district for their hunting grounds (which will almost certainly be at random, with very little input from me, I would think) and wondered how they will choose to deal with the crew runs that particular district (increase their status with them, or let it decrease for the sake of keeping their starting coin?).

…then I thought, “How the hell am I going to know who runs that district? More to the point, how do I know who runs ANY district?!”

So, I began scouring the rule book for “The List.” You know, The List? The List which outlines who runs each district? The very same List which surely details the status of each faction as they relate to every other faction? The List that explains who is scrapping over each corner of The Dusk? The List that will answer all of my questions as I start this fledgling crew down their criminal journey?

At first, when I realized that such a list doesn’t really exist (at least, not in the pared down, synthesized form I was expecting to find) I was a bit shocked. This fictional world is so rich, so well thought-out, that I just assumed these details must have been orchestrated and chronicled somewhere in the rules, easy to reference as needed.

But as I re-read over the factions section, and picked up little threads of clues from the playbooks and the beginning scenario, I realized that, like all other aspects of this game, I guess we’re just going to play to find out!

Still, I’m the kind of GM (I think — I guess we’ll see!) who likes having a few decisions made ahead of time; “the plan is nothing, but planning is everything,” and all that. Perhaps I’ll pick all the ward bosses before hand. Or perhaps I’ll pick a district (and ward boss) for my new players to start in, on their behalf? Or perhaps I’ll just roll some dice and let the pieces fall where they may…

How have other GMs out there decided which factions run which districts? How did you and your players decide which factions helped, and which factions were hindered by, their new crew as they chose their hunting grounds, starting upgrades, and contacts? Would you have preferred a more concrete list of faction relations and ward bosses, or did you enjoy making Doskvol unique and unpredictable?

3 Likes

I came up with a series of district handouts for use when I run the game at cons. It’s got 9 of the 12 districts, as Crow’s Foot is already well documented, and I considered Dunslough and Whitecrown to be out of scope for what I was going for in a 3-session con game (I may end up adding them in at some point).

I placed factions in what I considered te most logical places, based on the clues I could find in their short writeups in the book (this faction has a warehouse in this district, that faction controls a gambling house over there, etc). Similarly, the starting situations for each district were born out of some of the established alliances and rivalries.

– Ben

19 Likes

@A.D.1066 These are really cool, and very close to what I had sort of imagined as a resource. Thanks for sharing; I’m absolutely going to use these to get me started!

Just started running found myself flicking back and forth through the booked to find where factions were based. This is an amazingly helpful resource. They next thing I’ve found I need to do is cross reference all the people mentioned in the playbooks as I realized that they are linked to factions or areas.

1 Like

Hi,
A bit late, but maybe it will be useful for someone.
For my campaign I decided to divide the whole town to the gangs mentioned in the book. Based on the description of given gang and their Tier I’ve chosen a part of town they claim as their own (even if they might lack manpower to properly control it).
I focused on 1-2 Tier, with assumption that the higher Tiers get tribute from the smaller gangs (and I will reveal them, when my players get to the proper level themselves).

Then I update the map between the missions - with gang wars, contested turfs (striped areas) and my player’s crew progress (red one):
https://giphy.com/gifs/dXoRTgaF33rjBwn5Hu

2 Likes

How did you make that map?

The map was created by Ryan Dunleavy:
https://www.patreon.com/ryandunleavy

I’ve added a new layer on top of it with the faction turfs (just made it up really). I use Inkscape for this, because it lets me play with the shapes quite easily.

I use it also to highlight the points of interest when preparing the AP after the session (just another layer on Inkscape file):

Is it useful for when you run the campaign?

You would have to ask my players :slight_smile: But I think so. We have a printed version on the table during the play, so they can get a better “feel” of the city - who’s turf they will cross, who might be fighting with whom, and which points of interest are within their reach.

Plus, I find it pretty satisfying to see how the city situation changes from session to session :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Forum necromancy here :slight_smile: Did someone come up with more specific list for district bosses and faction list per district? The Crow’s Foot is clear, but I wonder what others picked. Need some inspiration here for my game, I have Nightmarket & Six Towers covered, but for the other districts I am stuck.

Fancy sharing what you came up for Nightmarket and Six Towers?

Certainly. I am running two campaigns, one with Shadow crew and another with Cult that is transferring to Hawkers.

In the Shadow campaign the Nightmarket & Silkshore are controlled by the Wraiths. Red Sashes also have foothold in Silkshore, because they want to expand to new markets. ix-towers is currently controlled by the Grey Cloaks, the Circle of Flames & Lord Scurlock are not interfering, their agenda in this game is not enforced.

In the Cult-to-Hawkers campaign, the Six-towers is controlled by the Circle of Flames and Lord Scurlock is not fancying that. He is contact for the crew and helps them in occult deals. Transfering from cult to hawkers will open interesting opportunities, as the current masters of the district won’t enjoy the expose that a drug lab will cause in their domain :slight_smile: Nightmarket & Silkshore are shared between Wraiths and Red Sashes (you see my default patterns).

1 Like

We had Nightmarket controlled by the Wraiths till the last session as well - when they were finally obliterated by players :slight_smile: The PCs took part of the territory for themselves, left some for the Grinders allies, and the no-mans-land in the middle was filled in by new gangs:

1. Bleak Faces - in my version Wraiths wore opera-style masks. This guys are a cheap knock-offs with faces painted white
  2. Eye Wobblers - mystic, strange cult more than a gang. They chew on strange herbs that grant them visions but cause nystagmus
  3. Sabertooths - a young offspring of Grinders, fierce and bloody, but looking for independence form parent-gang
  4. Shadow Walkers - small but skilled thiefs and burglars

That’s all we know about the gangs for now - let’s see what will emerge when players start to interact with them

1 Like

I like the bleak faces. The idea with the masks is nice :slight_smile: Full mask of half-mask like the phantom of the opera? :smiley:

I am going to revise the ownership of the Silkshore. Wraiths are good where there is to steal so the hunting ground can be silkshore, but control… I would rather give it to hawker gang or split the district across Red Sashes (for extra diversification of their income) and others. Not much hawkers in the default list of gangs though.

1 Like

Venetian carnival style (maybe less decorative/colourful). Here’s The Wraiths leader, Slate, in his tri-face mask, and his right-hand/lover/traitor Grip:

5 Likes

@Tarkis Can you reshare the map? It became private on giphy.

I don’t have the gif anymore, but you can see the progress on these maps:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhutFcUPfmo5icdmYw2qZHbG51cBeQ?e=3arEpW

1 Like

Thanks a lot, @Tarkis!

I just started a game & your district handouts are an absolute godsend!
Any chance of editable copies so I can update things between sessions and add extra details?