More softcover book options on DriveThruRPG please!

Alright, this is off topic but I want to make this comment as a gamer and game purchaser.

When people ask me what I want for gifts I will frequently say gift credit on DriveThruRPG. So, I do consistently spend money on DriveThruRPG. I also like physical copies of RPG books on my bookshelf. Since I started RPG gaming again, about 10 years ago, there are only two books I have purchased that are not DriveThuRPG softcover books. My Blades in the Dark book is softcover from DTRPG.

I recently made purchases that have led me to a conclusion. I ONLY want to purchase Print on Demand or softcover books from DTRPG. I purchased a pdf only copy of Sagas of the Icelanders and a softcover book of MASHed. I can’t wait for my book of MASHed to arrive and there is a very high probability I will read it cover to cover. Conversely, I had this sinking feeling that I may never read Sagas of the Icelanders as I buried it in its own folder on my hard drive. Of course, I WANT to read Sagas (that is why I got it) and I very well may. However, reality is that there is only so much time I want to look at screens and I just probably won’t get around to it for who knows how long.

I mean, I am GMing two Roll20 games right now so, yeah, more screens! I am spending so much time on my computer screens and phone screen that I want to get away from it and relax with a soft cover RPG.

Anyway, that is my soapbox speech and I understand I may be the only one feeling this way but I made a vow that I will only buy softcover stuff off DriveThruRPG from here on out (and, yeah, that just cut a lot of titles off my potential purchase list).

I also understand there may be real reasons that designers/publishers don’t do the PoD DTRPG thing. Certainly, no negative feelings from me on that point. I just really wish more titles had the softcover option on DTRPG.

Cheers everyone! I hope 2021 is a great gaming year for you! :blush:

1 Like