S&V - Attune question

I’m having a bit of a hard time understanding Attune uses. The book says

When you attune to the Way, you open your mind to the galactic
energies flowing throughout existence. You might communicate with
a non-sentient species or robot. You could safely handle Precursor
artifacts or remnants that tap directly into the Way. You might sense
unseen danger, or killing intent (though study might be better).

I understand the part about communicating with machines, but then there’s his piece about sensing unseen danger or killing intent. I’m not entirely sure about this “precog” piece of the skill. What is a PC supposed to be able to sense with attune, and why?

Also, it says “study might be better”, but then on study you have

You could deduce a person’s intention to kill you
(but attune might be better)
Looks like they both say that the other might be better on basically the same action, seeing that someone wants to kill you.

I’m a bit confused here. Could someone shed some light on this skill?

Think of attune as a dual purpose stat.
1: it is the stat we go to for Way use/Way interactions.
Even those not trained in the way to manifest powers, are still part of it and we’d consider their attune for if maybe they also felt the exertions of a powerful user near by or some other “disturbance in the way.” They may not understand what or why they feel what they do, but they may still experience some feeling of something that trained users would for sure notice. So if there is a Way interaction of some kind i consider the attune stat and would generally default to resolve for a lot of the resistance rolls against Way powers(situation/power dependent of course).

2: it acts as ever charterers “intuition” for their area of expertise.
That the years of experience and training are in them, greater than the some of the parts. It’s why the mechanic knows exactly what’s wrong with the machine from the sound it makes and the color of the coolant. And nothing anyone could have read up on or learned in school would have known exactly that on the first diagnosis from so little information.
It’s the pilot’s gut feeling about how hard they can push the ship beyond specs without breaking it, or the muscle’s correct reflex to feign left instead of right in the split second no time to think about moment.

at least this is how i been understanding it and applying it anyway and its been working out well.