The Expanse (spoilers)

I just binged through seasons 2 and 3 and caught up on The Expanse.

It’s still rough in spots, but overall I really enjoyed it.

• Chrisjen is the best
  • Bobby Draper is amazing
  • More Naomi and Drummer please
  • Amos is starting to show a character arc! I like it.

Also, I flipped through the preview PDF for the upcoming Expanse RPG by Green Ronin, and I gotta say, it didn’t wow me. Maybe the full game will have more Expanse-specific stuff that will make it pop, but at first glance it feels pretty generic. Has anyone tried it out?

4 Likes

Yeah I’m halfway through watching the third season. It’s great to get back to it. I read all the books last year and I like how the show pressures the characters in different way. I definitely hoot aloud for all the characters you mention.

I’ve skimmed a friend’s copy of the Expanse but didn’t dig in. The system looked odd, but if it doesnt have much by depth in the setting material, welp!

I did crack the board game last weekend. It’s set in the first season, as Protogen gets the protomolecule as a power up to basically a nuke a base. It takes the core card mechanic from Twilight Struggle and makes it into faster playing four-player war game. It’s pretty rad.

To be fair, the game PDF I read was a quickstart thing, so it doesn’t have the setting guide, which I hope will be good. I was just underwhelmed by the game system stuff.

We got through season two a bit ago and were really enjoying it. Been super busy since the new one made it to streaming, though, so I guess we need to make time to check it out again.

I’m toying around with a Forged in the Dark Expanse hack right now, since I love the IP.

I backed the Expanse RPG Kickstarter and found the system pretty underwhelming, although I really backed it for the fiction rather than the setting, to be honest. The fiction is… okay. I was hoping for more in depth fiction, but it doesn’t seem to go terribly in depth. Handy summary of the system and various settlements, though.

1 Like

All my favorite scenes were the Drummer scenes. Particularly the episode where she and Ashford were in a pinch.

I’m digging the Amos arc, and really enjoyed how the team was pulled apart and brought back together in season three.

I also feel strongly that a hard-scifi blades hack would emulate The Expanse really well. When I watch the show I often think about how the mix of action and politics is akin to the best campaigns of Blades I’ve run.

Yeah, I’ve thought that too, Justin.

The Expanse would be a Blades hack where you really have to earn that crew sheet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The nuclear and zero-g physics has the stamp of approval from the high energy physicists in my family. LOVE the series!