The Smuggling Claim - what’s it good for?

So I was looking at the Incarceration section, and while most of it makes a lot of sense, I’m drawing a blank for what Smuggling would be good for in most sessions. The way I envision the game, jailed characters would fade into the background for a little bit. Maybe you’d set their time in Ironhook to a Clock, maybe not. So why would I worry about Load while my character is serving their sentence, instead of just rolling up a new character in the interim?

1 Like

The rules give you the freedom to forget about your character while they’re incarcerated, but they also give you the freedom to play a scene with them (or more!) if it serves your story.
Depending on your table’s interest, it might make sense to play out the scene when the jailed Cutter’s lover comes to confess her affair with his rival (does he have a smuggled bottle of wine to win her back, or a vial of poison to pay her back for her betrayal?), or when the jailed Spider’s bitter enemy comes to gloat over her capture (and she’s really happy she had that tiny pistol smuggled in…).

2 Likes

We’ve used it in our group for a Prison Break score, “smuggling” a couple of valuable men out of Ironhook. Whilst I’d not recommend making it a stock score, since it robs the tension from the Bluecoats if you can just bust out whenever, the prison job is absolutely iconic in every medium, and sometimes you really need that one character for that one score, and you can’t wait around for them to serve their time.

1 Like