Touchstones and inspirations

(Piorunes Heavenlight) #1

Hi there!

Similar to Blades in the Dark Guidebook I would love to hear your recommendations of TV shows, books, video games, movies, music and stuff that tells the dark fantasy horror stories of underdog soldiers for Band of Blades.

Obviously, the reference can cover just a part of the setting/theme. If we gather some maybe I Could compile them in the first post to let the people see.

And maybe the full-text pdf will have this section and this topic is redundant, but let’s hear it anyway.

I will start with an obvious one:
Books
“The Black Company” by Glen Cook - no need to add anything to that :wink:
“Age of the Five” by Trudi Canavan - Somehow this book is something I think of when I play Chosen. Shows interesting relations between Gods and their “tools”.

TV Series
“Band of Brothers” - for the stories of brothers in arms dying and fighting.

Music
Darkest Dungeon OST - especially “The Hamlet” for back at camp and “A Brief Respite” for camping. Combat music is great as well.
Bloodborne boss fights OST - for meeting those Infamous and more. Nothing like a good tune to describe rookies dying horribly.

I will add more if something comes up.

(Judd Karlman) #2

Generation Kill, the book and the HBO series.

(Andrew Shields) #3

Strong recommendation here for the television show “Burn Notice.” I consider it premium training for players. Think about how you can construct a con to manage a heist, think about how you can use tools at your disposal and what sort of prep your rogue might have done (that you can flash back to.) How you can use teamwork. How you can take care of the day-to-day missions while also driving towards larger objectives. Reframe problems to come at them from another angle. Be flexible, build your rep, manage your relationships.

It isn’t Gothic, or industrial, or fantasy, or particularly noir. BUT, it is focused on confidence schemes, judicious application of violence with minimal heat, dealing with contacts to acquire things, and pressing towards long term projects.

Michael Weston is a skilled Slide, Fiona is the Cutter, and Sam is a lousy Spider. =)