Because I had difficulty explaining to my players how we walk through the complete play cycle and how all the roles & resources interacted, I wrote up this step-by-step primer.
Please correct me if I got something wrong here and I’ll update it
Band of Blades - A Unified Guide to the Play Cycle and Resource Tracking
1. Resolve Missions
- Play out the primary mission. Surviving Legionnaires gain xp as per their playbooks.
- Marshal makes an engagement roll to resolve the secondary mission. Specialists who survive this mission gain 2xp, assigned by the Marshal.
- Commander applies mission rewards/penalties to pressure, time, and intel
- Quartermaster applies mission rewards/penalties to update supply, assets. If the Legion loses supply and have none, have the Marshal mark -1 morale instead.
- Marshal applies mission rewards/penalties to morale, updates roster if Specialists were gained, and applies -1 morale penalty for each Legionnaire death incurred on missions.
- If the mission provides a points reward, the GM or Lorekeeper notes that on the Skydagger Keep sheet.
- If a mission has additional xp rewards, the Specialists who survived apply them.
3. Back At Camp
- GM or Lorekeeper selects a short Back At Camp scene to play out as the troops return from their mission, based on the current morale rating
4. Time Passes
- Commander: Add +1 time and +1 pressure
- Quartermaster: Use -1 food. If you have no food, the Marshal reduces morale by -2
- GM or Lorekeeper: Tells tales of the dead, which may grant an effect on the Legion
5. Campaign Actions
Quartermaster performs campaign actions (2 free at 8-10 morale, 1 free at 4-7, or none at 1-3 morale, may spend supply to get additional):
- Acquire Assets - Use to gain black shot, food, horses, religious supplies, or supply carts. Depending on your location, you may also be able to gain Laborers, siege weapons, and alchemical concoctions. In rare cases you may be able to gain Alchemists and Mercies.
- Liberty - Clear 3 stress for every member of the Legion and add +2 to morale
- Recruit - Gain up to 5 Rookies
- Rest & Recuperation - Every Legionnaire may mark a tick in any harm row to heal.
- Long Term Project - Initiate/advance a project developed in concert with the GM.
Quartermaster updates status of Alchemists, Laborers, and Mercies
Spymaster dispatches spies:
- Interrogate - Ask any intel question from any list when missions are presented
- Blackmail - Add +1d to the Quartermaster’s acquire assets roll.
- Help - Add +1d to a Quartermaster’s long-term project roll
- Recover - Spy removes their wounded condition
- Long-Term Assignment - Augment missions, expand network, lay trap, recruit, research
6. The Legion Advances (optional)
- Commander decides if the Legion advances. If so, they roll pressure and use the result to add time. (Quartermaster may lower pressure by spending horses.) Reset pressure to zero. If the Legion does not advance, they pursue further missions at the current location.
7. Mission Focus/Generation
- Commander chooses a mission type to focus on (assault, recon, religious, or supply) based on what’s available in the current location. The GM generates missions.
8. Mission Priority
- GM presents the available missions.
- Commander can ask the GM questions based on current intel. Spymaster may have used the interrogate campaign action to ask one or more additional questions from the entire list of options.
- Commander may spend an intel to replace one regular mission with a special mission of the GM’s choice.
- Commander determines the primary mission and the secondary mission.
- Marshal assigns a squad and up to two Specialists to each mission and determines who’s in charge.
- All players take up their characters and reset their armor, Specialist skill uses, and choose their load. They may spend utility load to bring along something from a selection of extra items.
- Quartermaster may add to the engagement roll for a mission by spending the appropriate supply (assault - black shot, recon - horses, religious - religious supplies, supply - food) Specialists on that mission should equip the proper extras for free.
- Commander may spend intel to add to the engagement roll for a mission.
- Marshal assembles the dice pool and makes the engagement roll for the primary mission.
9. GOTO: Step 1.